Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2.1 University graduates! How do you feel? Universal credit? No job? Tips & advice watch

Hi guys,

So I graduated in December 2017 with a 2.1 in Criminology and Criminal Justice. I know people have said that the course is not good to do blah blah, But I can honestly say I LOVED it and don't regret choosing it! 😁

Anyways, after graduating I felt happy and proud of myself. However, I've been finding it so difficult to get a job. This is despite having relevant volunteering experience to my course.

This honestly made me feel so depressed as I had no money and didn't know what career path I wanted to go in. Then I found out about universal credit and that was what basically saved me. It's not much but it really is something for someone who didn't have anything.

Also, I worked in retail for a bit but I didnt like it at all. Instead I've been applying for jobs and constantly being rejected (isn't that a horrible feeling!). Anyways, recently I've managed to get a job but I'm waiting for my DBS. The job is relevant to social work which interests me so I'm happy with that. If I hadn't done volunteering in this sector then I probably wouldn't have got the job offer. (Just wish DBS didn't take so long haha).

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation? Have you graduated and felt unsure about what you wanted to do? Did you have to start from the bottom? What advice would you give to people in similar circumstances?

My advice:
    Get financial support as soon as possible. Don't feel ashamed about asking for help or by going to the job centre. As long as you're trying to find a job you shouldn't feel (embarrassed). Stay patient, keep applying, don't give up. You will get rejected but don't stop! Keep applying and asking for feedback after inteviews. Carry out volunteering if you can whilst studying or even after you have graduated. Oh and Finally, SAVE SAVE SAVE for a rainy day (or months in my case lol!)
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.