Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When's the latest I can start work experience for medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I've been wanting to medicine for as long as I can imagine but the only problem standing in my way is work experience.

It's now March and I haven't got any secured places with my UCAS being sent off in October and interviews later on during the year. I have a very jam packed summer and it will be hard to gain experience then. I'm very worried as I think this means it will make my application significantly weaker for a Russell Group University.

When would it be too late to start work experience and do I stand a chance?

Also would GP work experience count as a substitute for hospital work experience?

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mat325h)
    I have a very jam packed summer and it will be hard to gain experience then. I'm very worried as I think this means it will make my application significantly weaker for a Russell Group University.
    There seem to be two fundamental things you do not understand, which are: (a) nothing is more important to you than getting this experience; to do anything else in preference to taking up such a post would be a fatal mistake; (b) the Russell Group is utterly irrelevant for medicine applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mat325h)
    Hey all,

I've been wanting to medicine for as long as I can imagine but the only problem standing in my way is work experience.

It's now March and I haven't got any secured places with my UCAS being sent off in October and interviews later on during the year. I have a very jam packed summer and it will be hard to gain experience then. I'm very worried as I think this means it will make my application significantly weaker for a Russell Group University.

When would it be too late to start work experience and do I stand a chance?

Also would GP work experience count as a substitute for hospital work experience?

Many Thanks
    Lack of work experience will make your application significantly weak full stop - not just for Russell Group unis, which as pointed out above, is an irrelevant consideration anyway when it comes to applying for medicine.

GP work experience is really good (if you can get it) and can be used in place of hospital work shadowing.

I think you need to cast your net wider - do you have any distant family who work in a hospital? Or friends' parents maybe? You could also contact consultants' secretaries directly (both NHS and private hospitals). Don't only enquire at the hospitals closest to you - I did my first hospital work experience placement 30 miles away from home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Lack of work experience will make your application significantly weak full stop - not just for Russell Group unis, which as pointed out above, is an irrelevant consideration anyway when it comes to applying for medicine.

GP work experience is really good (if you can get it) and can be used in place of hospital work shadowing.

I think you need to cast your net wider - do you have any distant family who work in a hospital? Or friends' parents maybe? You could also contact consultants' secretaries directly (both NHS and private hospitals). Don't only enquire at the hospitals closest to you - I did my first hospital work experience placement 30 miles away from home.
    It's always nice when sound advice like this is acknowledged, isn't it?

:tumble:

ReputationRep:
    Start care home volunteering in the summer and pester a load of gp practices (you don't have to shadow the gps for it to be valid work experience) should be fine then
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    For the vast majority of medical schools, you NEED some work experience (in whatever form - so not just clinical shadowing, but any sort of volunteering/paid work with vulnerable groups).

The key thing is not what you've done, but you showing that you've actually thought about being a doctor in your personal statement, by reflecting on your experiences.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.