Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is about alkali fuel cells. I dont undrstand what the 'redox system' equations are for, or what they mean and generally why they were stated in the text book. I do understand the half equation, but would really like some clarification on the redox system part (keep it simple, i'm definately no chemist XD)
    Thanks in advance

Redox system:
    2H20(l)+ 2e- <--> H2(g) +2OH- (aq)
    0.5 O2 (g) +H2O(l) +2e- <--> 2OH - (aq)
    Half-equations:
    Oxidation: H2(g) + 2OH-(aq) --> 2H2O (l) +2e-
    Reduction: 0.5 O2 (g) +H2O(l) +2 e- --> 2OH - (aq)
    overall: H2(g) +0.5 O2 (g) --> 2H2O (l)

(oxygen and hydrogen go in, and water comes out of the fuel cell thats all I really got from the text book)

ReputationRep:
    The redox system is just describing the reactions of two half cells in the hydrogen fuel cell - together they form a 'redox system' because, as you stated, in the hydrogen fuel cell the 2H20 + 2e- -> H2 + 2OH half cell will be the oxidation reaction, and the 1/2 O2 + H20 + 2e- -> 2OH- half cell is the reduction reaction. The overall reaction (as in, the hydrogen fuel cell system) is therefore redox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salyhaha)
    The redox system is just describing the reactions of two half cells in the hydrogen fuel cell - together they form a 'redox system' because, as you stated, in the hydrogen fuel cell the 2H20 + 2e- -> H2 + 2OH half cell will be the oxidation reaction, and the 1/2 O2 + H20 + 2e- -> 2OH- half cell is the reduction reaction. The overall reaction (as in, the hydrogen fuel cell system) is therefore redox.
    Ah ok I think that makes sense! Thank you so much!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.