Turn on thread page Beta

Literature review watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what a literature review consists of or what to even write in it.

I'm doing an economics dissertation - my tutors and the uni haven't informed of a literature review or to write one, do all dissertations have to do lit reviews (mine is 8k words for the dissertation in general). If so how long should it be?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Theguynextdoor)
    Not sure what a literature review consists of or what to even write in it.

I'm doing an economics dissertation - my tutors and the uni haven't informed of a literature review or to write one, do all dissertations have to do lit reviews (mine is 8k words for the dissertation in general). If so how long should it be?
    Yes you need a lit review for a dissertation. It should cover the knowledge in the field so far and the gaps and how your work is going to address the gaps. Start broad and slowly narrow down. Ideally the lit review should be about 20-25% of the dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Yes you need a lit review for a dissertation. It should cover the knowledge in the field so far and the gaps and how your work is going to address the gaps. Start broad and slowly narrow down. Ideally the lit review should be about 20-25% of the dissertation.
    I assume it requires references on the literature review section? So like you said its meant to show the flaws of my work and how to address it and the general knowledge on the field of topic itself? Is there anything else I need to do such as listing the main types of books/articles that will come in handy?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Theguynextdoor)
    I assume it requires references on the literature review section? So like you said its meant to show the flaws of my work and how to address it and the general knowledge on the field of topic itself? Is there anything else I need to do such as listing the main types of books/articles that will come in handy?
    Yes it needs to be referenced. The limitations of the work need to be addressed in the discussion. Your lit review should be the intro to the field. And no it has to be written in prose and shouldn’t just be a list f handy resources. You need to be critical. Maybe talk to your supervisor about what is expected.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Yes it needs to be referenced. The limitations of the work need to be addressed in the discussion. Your lit review should be the intro to the field. And no it has to be written in prose and shouldn’t just be a list f handy resources. You need to be critical. Maybe talk to your supervisor about what is expected.
    Thank you for that, that helped a lot. I'll get my top resources that I can use for the lit review and be critical about it and show my limitations of the economic aspects of my diss

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.