Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I want to teach music what qualifications would I need? I all ready have a good under standing of music, I play multiple instuments (guitar, bass guitar, piano, basic drums). I do music tech at school at the moments and may continue music in college depending on if i can find a desent college that does music courses. I was thinking of getting a part time or weakend job in music preferably teaching or something along thoses lines when I hit 16. Does any one have any advise? Where is the best place to start? I am willing to teach ant age.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is a music teacher.

She has grade 8 in all the instruments she teaches (achieved before she applied for university), a university degree in music and a PGCE.

However, if you're looking more at a weekend teaching job part time rather than a career, then you can basically start anywhere. Get a few fliers, tell your friends and advertise yourself. You will need to be at a good standard at the instruments, able to teach students usually to a qualification standard (so know what the exam boards ask for), or if you're just looking at beginners then just how to play the instruments.

You'll need a repertoire of pieces and music books, which you will be able to photocopy and lend out to students. Often, you will also need duplicates of the instruments you are teaching as many beginners won't have their own yet - or, you will need to be in touch with a company that lends them.

I know someone who is 15, and teachers beginner guitar at the weekend for about £10 an hour. He isn't that good at the instrument, but considerably better than those he teaches and far cheaper than going to professional teacher.

Hope this helps X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDevil)
    If I want to teach music what qualifications would I need? I all ready have a good under standing of music, I play multiple instuments (guitar, bass guitar, piano, basic drums). I do music tech at school at the moments and may continue music in college depending on if i can find a desent college that does music courses. I was thinking of getting a part time or weakend job in music preferably teaching or something along thoses lines when I hit 16. Does any one have any advise? Where is the best place to start? I am willing to teach ant age.
    Do you want to be a music teacher in a school or just give lessons privately? Usuallypeople who teach privately have music diplomas which are above grade 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    My mum is a music teacher.

She has grade 8 in all the instruments she teaches (achieved before she applied for university), a university degree in music and a PGCE.

However, if you're looking more at a weekend teaching job part time rather than a career, then you can basically start anywhere. Get a few fliers, tell your friends and advertise yourself. You will need to be at a good standard at the instruments, able to teach students usually to a qualification standard (so know what the exam boards ask for), or if you're just looking at beginners then just how to play the instruments.

You'll need a repertoire of pieces and music books, which you will be able to photocopy and lend out to students. Often, you will also need duplicates of the instruments you are teaching as many beginners won't have their own yet - or, you will need to be in touch with a company that lends them.

I know someone who is 15, and teachers beginner guitar at the weekend for about £10 an hour. He isn't that good at the instrument, but considerably better than those he teaches and far cheaper than going to professional teacher.

Hope this helps X
    I want to go in to music as a career but cant properly since I'm still in school. I am self tought so dont have any qualifications in music yet apart from the music tech qualification I am working on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDevil)
    I want to go in to music as a career but cant properly since I'm still in school. I am self tought so dont have any qualifications in music yet apart from the music tech qualification I am working on.
    You'll need qualifications in music if you want to go down the university route, so I'd recommend getting on that now.

I mean practical performance qualifications - like associated board and trinity examinations. Have a research and see what you can do. If you're able in your instrument, then even if you've not done one before, you should be able to jump in at a high grade as they test your performance more than anything.

I'd also recommend learning some music theory and aural tests - you can get both apps and books on these to work through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    You'll need qualifications in music if you want to go down the university route, so I'd recommend getting on that now.

I mean practical performance qualifications - like associated board and trinity examinations. Have a research and see what you can do. If you're able in your instrument, then even if you've not done one before, you should be able to jump in at a high grade as they test your performance more than anything.

I'd also recommend learning some music theory and aural tests - you can get both apps and books on these to work through.
    Ok thank you.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.