Turn on thread page Beta

Best textbooks to prep for GDL watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to go off and do the GDL at BPP next year, but I want to give myself the best possible grounding in the subject before starting. I'm currently at postgrad level (but with no previous experience in Law) and self-employed, so I want to devote a lot of the next 9/10 months to prep study and I'm able to dedicate quite a lot of my time to it.

Would there be any textbooks you'd recommend buying in advance to start working through and (partially) teaching myself some of the overarching concepts, and maybe getting a jump on case textbooks too? Ideally I'd want something that isn't MA level advanced just yet, but equally something that doesn't skimp on details and is quite comprehensive.

I was thinking of spending around 6 weeks on each of the core modules, is there a particular series of textbooks for each module that you'd recommend getting, or even just a broader subject textbook that'd give me an advantage come the course start date? Thanks in advance for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    No one cares how well you do on the GDL so long as you pass.

For BPP the exams are based off the solutions they hand out in class. Wasting your time doing background reading. Students usually figure out they need to revise selectively in their first year of uni, second year latest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flatlined)
    [email protected]

No one cares how well you do on the GDL so long as you pass.

If you're doing it without a training contract, then you're an idiot.

If you don't know no one cares about the GDL and you don't know it doesn't help you at all to speak of for practising law, then you're badly researched.

For BPP the exams are based off the solutions they hand out in class. Wasting your time doing background reading. Students usually figure out they need to revise selectively in their first year of uni, second year latest. Shame you are of this disposition having graduated.
    I'm not planning on being a solicitor so a training contract would be irrelevant. Thanks very much for the unnecessarily rude and patronising comment though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uracontra)
    I'm not planning on being a solicitor so a training contract would be irrelevant. Thanks very much for the unnecessarily rude and patronising comment though.
    It's necessarily true. If you're doing it for the bar, the same deal applies re pupillage or at least scholarships. You also need a first from a decent uni which I expect you don't have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flatlined)
    It's necessarily true. If you're doing it for the bar, the same deal applies re pupillage or at least scholarships. You also need a first from a decent uni which I expect you don't have.
    They could be looking at working in criminal.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.