Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For so long we have known only 2 genders of male and female, in the new world however there are even suggested to be over 60 genders ! Transgender moving one to the other, gender fluid and having no gender at all, also the outcry of only a handful of people being offended by terms such as male and 'man' in mankind for example. Everyone is open to do what they want and be who they want but should we change everyone else understanding and the language even giving fines for those who don't follow or give the right terms just because a minority of people are offended it's definitely up for debate.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just accept people for who they are, and stop trying to put peop in boxes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke5125)
    It's very easy to say that, but do you honestly thing people should face legal consequences for not complying?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to society, you will be put in "boxes" because it is handy for everyone else and is the basis of society, If you want to be uncivil and live outside of civilization, go and leave it, just do not expect us to change because you cannot handle the struggles of a modern society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    It's very easy to say that, but do you honestly thing people should face legal consequences for not complying?
    Yes I do

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do
    Do you support people being jailed for being offended?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do
    So you think if people don't want to use pronouns or call someone by their preferred gender they should face legal ramifications?

What. The. F

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waiz Stephen7)
    For so long we have known only 2 genders of male and female
    That isn't true. The first gender reassignment surgery was done in 1951 and I am sure people who felt they didn't fit into male or female genders have been around well before them. However, the argument that just because it is a small number of people, they don't matter is not an argument. Disabled people are a small number, but we go out of our way to accommodate them. Blind people are a small number but lifts and doors in public buildings have braile signs. You probably don't even notice them. It is no big deal.

And so too with gender. Why is the problem if someone asks you to use their preferred pronoun? It is hardly a liberty to call someone the "he", "she" or "they" they have chosen rather than the doctor or midwife who brought you into the world. It is absolutely no big deal whatsoever. It is just that because we are so conditioned to be either blue boys or pink girls, the idea that we can swap, be somewhere in the middle or no where at all is a little uncomfortable for some. But that is an issue those people have to overcome, not trans people.

ReputationRep:
    i completely support people that are part of the lgbt community, but what bothers me is when people view gender as a personality trait. "you're in a friendship group where you're all straight... don't you think thats a bit sad?" was what i was told by someone at my school a few weeks ago. being straight doesn't interesting, it makes you straight. being gay doest make you interesting; it just means you're gay. if someones gender is the most interesting thing about someone, they should probably get a personality or take up a new hobby.

if someone feels distinctly uncomfortable when called the incorrect pronoun, then people should obviously make an active effort to respect their wishes, despite their ow personal views (surely this is merely a polite gesture rather than a formal judgement). I think it is unfair, however, when you read stories about teachers etc. who face legal repercussions or unemployment because they 'assumed someones gender' - as with the variety of genders that are now accepted, i find it astonishing that people are expected to know someones preferred pronouns, without previously being told.

i completely respect the lgbt community, but disagree when some members preach to straight people that they are boring/narrow minded etc. - if this was reversed and a straight person said it to a gay person, they transgress; there would be outrage and they would be labelled as homophobic. surely labelling people is not ultimately what matters - rather accepting people for the gender identity that they prefer politely and respectfully.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To flip your argument shouldnt transexuals et al. stop ramming their decisions down the publics throat and stop making such a fuss over it then?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.