Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain why they said that p(x>15)=p(y<or equal to 4) its the last line on the workout example. part a
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by assassinbunny123)
    Can someone explain why they said that p(x>15)=p(y<or equal to 4) its the last line on the workout example. part a
    Because having more than 15 customers buy the tea is the same as having less than or equal to 4 customer NOT buying the tea.

Reverse the logical statement.

ReputationRep:
    There are two ways to work out the answer. Either by considering the prob of buying tea =0.7 or by looking at fewer than 5 not buying tea. I think most people would go for the first approach but they are just saying there is another way.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    There are two ways to work out the answer. Either by considering the prob of buying tea =0.7 or by looking at fewer than 5 not buying tea. I think most people would go for the first approach but they are just saying there is another way.
    I don't know too much about old spec stats but wouldn't you have to use the Y random variable since the probabilities in the table are < 0.5?

In the new spec you'd just use your calculator with p = 0.7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    I don't know too much about old spec stats but wouldn't you have to use the Y random variable since the probabilities in the table are < 0.5?

I did not know whether OP is old or new spec.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I did not know whether OP is old or new spec.
    I think it's an old spec textbook but the OP could be using it for new spec.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's an old spec textbook but the OP could be using it for new spec.
    Lots of schools are using the old books.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Lots of schools are using the old books.
    Yes they are which is a shame, especially for stats.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are which is a shame, especially for stats.
    I agree...

ReputationRep:

old spec but how would you do this question on a calculator since i find going to the tables a bit tedious
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    old spec but how would you do this question on a calculator since i find going to the tables a bit tedious
    Probability P(X=k) for a binomial distribution X \sim B(n,p) is \displaystyle \binom{n}{k} p^k (1-p)^{n-k}. So for P(X \leq k) you simply add up all the 'equality probabilities' P(X=0) + P(X=1) + ... + P(X=k), which can be denoted by \displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{k} \binom{n}{i} p^i (1-p)^{n-i}.

In your question, you are looking for P(X &gt; 15) = P(X \geq 16) from X \sim B(20,0.7) which can be found from the calculator by typing in \displaystyle \sum_{i=16}^{20} \binom{20}{i} 0.7^i \cdot 0.3^{20-i} \approx 0.2375

If you calculator doesnt have a sum button, then you'd need to sum these probabilities individually, which as you might expect is tedious as well if you're summing up many of them - hence the table in the formula booklet.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    You’re on old spec so probably don’t have a binomial distribution function in your calculator. You could sum the probabilities but it’s a waste of time.

A lot of questions will assume you’re using tables so it’s best to stick to tables for old spec even if your calculator does have the function.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 28, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.