Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For everyone who got in what kind of grades did you guys get and if its not to personal what kind of background do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SanjuPunju123)
    For everyone who got in what kind of grades did you guys get and if its not to personal what kind of background do you have?
    I got 9A*s 2As at GCSE, I’m a young carer, come from a low income household (I get a bursary) and had an ACORN score of 4 (my polar score was fine)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Applied for oncology but got rejected. Haven't been accepted into any of the social mobility programmes so far because I'm not disadvantaged enough.

ReputationRep:
    I got accepted into the Summer Human Sciences course! Well done to everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deliciate)
    Applied for oncology but got rejected. Haven't been accepted into any of the social mobility programmes so far because I'm not disadvantaged enough.
    Aww that's unlucky, it's ok though it doesn't reflect real chances of getting in obviously. What grades did you get at gcse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rxmbi)
    Hi there! I’ve got in for oncology too but with a goal to eventually study medicine at uni😊 What were your stats like?
    10A* and 1 B, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    i got 10 A*s and an A at GCSE, and I live in a “low progression to university” area. One of my parents went to uni, and my parents are actors. Income within the 18-25K bracket. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I got a place for Engineering and I am really surprised. ☺ My GCSE grades aren't that good, compared to everyone else I read (5A*'s , 4A's and 1B (a 6 in English Language but clearly it didn't matter for engineering). I also wrote the personal statement and submitted my application the day of the deadline.😅 Anyone doing engineering, feel free to message me, then, we can set up a group chat or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uranium Potato)
    10A* and 1 B, wbu?
    Haha mine were the same as yours weirdly. I had three 9's tho

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

So I got 998. Including those then works out at 6A*s, 4As, 1B and a L2-D* for ECDL.

In terms of family background, neither of my parents have a history of higher education, secondary school I attended had extremely poor results and 60%+ Free School Meals and area that I live in is POLAR cat. 2 so low progression to higher education. Guessing that all this worked in my favour!

Harry

ReputationRep:
    I got 3A*s 8As which is in about the top 5-10% at my school so even though my GCSEs aren't great they are extremely good for my area and a Polar of 51 and my Acorn is 1 which is means a very low progression to higher education additionally I'm part of Target Oxbridge and my mum didn't go to uni (single mum)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HT2412)
    Hey!

So I got 998. Including those then works out at 6A*s, 4As, 1B and a L2-D* for ECDL.

In terms of family background, neither of my parents have a history of higher education, secondary school I attended had extremely poor results and 60%+ Free School Meals and area that I live in is POLAR cat. 2 so low progression to higher education. Guessing that all this worked in my favour!

Harry
    I got really similar grades! - converting the numbers 5A*s 6As 1B haha

ReputationRep:
    I come from a postcode with low progression to university or further education (POLAR score 4s and 5s).

On the part of the application where you entered your parent’s level of higher education and income, it said at the top of the page that these are not used to determine your eligibility- nor is race, gender or whether you know if you’re actually going to apply to Oxbridge. All the info on that page was apparently used to analyse trends in which sort of people applied and was kept confidential (which is quite confusing as that info surely would be of interest to them?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie_gilmour)
    I come from a postcode with low progression to university or further education (POLAR score 4s and 5s).

On the part of the application where you entered your parent’s level of higher education and income, it said at the top of the page that these are not used to determine your eligibility- nor is race, gender or whether you know if you’re actually going to apply to Oxbridge. All the info on that page was apparently used to analyse trends in which sort of people applied and was kept confidential (which is quite confusing as that info surely would be of interest to them?).
    I have a feeling that if people had the same grade they may have used that as a determining factors but only as a last resort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time4twice)
    I have a feeling that if people had the same grade they may have used that as a determining factors but only as a last resort
    Yeah, some people on this thread say they didn’t match the socio-economic criteria but got in anyways, so I assume only the POLAR & ACORN scores are used but aren’t weighted heavily

ReputationRep:
    Got accepted for doing History: Order and Freedom for the Summer programme. Quite surprised, but very pleased to be going.
    Feel free to message me if doing the same course - would love to get to know more people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie_gilmour)
    I got accepted into the Summer Human Sciences course! Well done to everyone
    Same, I'm super pumped.

ReputationRep:
    Got accepted onto uniq spring for the humanities strand - really surprised! I applied for beginners languages as well but didn’t get in, which is fine as humanities really interest me anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uranium Potato)
    Aww that's unlucky, it's ok though it doesn't reflect real chances of getting in obviously. What grades did you get at gcse?
    9A*s and 1A D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucylo)
    Got accepted onto uniq spring for the humanities strand - really surprised! I applied for beginners languages as well but didn’t get in, which is fine as humanities really interest me anyway
    Omg congrats! It'll be so weird - I'm Lucy too so I guess there's gonna be two aha. Are you taking any languages at A Level right now?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.