Turn on thread page Beta

Free speech watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all. I'm worried about increased stifling of free speech in uni with the 'no platform' policies introduced. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighPlaces)
    Hey all. I'm worried about increased stifling of free speech in uni with the 'no platform' policies introduced. What do you think?
    Don't believe everything the press says. It is exceedingly rare for any student union to ban a speaker, apart from those associated with organisations that put government has determined ate terrorist linked groups.

I challenge anyone here to give me the names and evidence of 10 speakers banned from speaking at student unions in the last twelve months. Given how widespread the press makes out it is.

ReputationRep:
    Free speech doesn't exist in this country. There's no law protecting it.

We have freedom of expression. It's subtly different.

ReputationRep:
    I rarely believer ANYTHING I read in mainstream media unless there is corroboration.

This problem is obviously serious enough to have warranted a pretty comprehensive report produced annually by spiked-online.com. Look for yourself before you dismiss this. It's their 'Free Speech University Rankings' project.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Free speech doesn't exist in this country. There's no law protecting it.

We have freedom of expression. It's subtly different.
    Yep you're right. Since the whole hate speech legislation came in (the most subjective I've seen as it's based on 'perception') that protection under the Human Rights Act was effectively nullified.

We need a First Amendment-type Act specifically covering free speech. there's a petition on the Parliament website now calling for one. It only has 20k signatures so far and needs 5x that number for it to come before Parliament for debate. The deadline in 30 April.

I'd encourage anyone who values the freedom to verbalise their views (no matter what they are) to sign it!

ReputationRep:
    We need a First Amendment-type Act specifically covering free speech.
    Why?

What do you want to do that you can't do now?

ReputationRep:
    Why?

That's a strange question.

It's not about me (only)! There is life outside my own spheres and I care that my country is changing like this. I don't want my peers or generations to come to be deprived of such a fundamental right as freedom of speech. I'd have thought anyone who values this would want the same and not be solely motivated by personal interest.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

To stop nonsense like this:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017...ents-one-year/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...olls-b8nkpgp2d

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7064246.html

Absolute disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not clear: are you saying these incidents are a disgrace? I hope so! If so are you motivated enough to do anything about it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not clear: are you saying these incidents are a disgrace? I hope so! If so are you motivated enough to do anything about it?
    I'm saying that the state arresting you for offensive comments which are placed under the blanket statement of 'hate speech' is a disgrace.

What would you like me to do? The most I can do is sign a petition, join or a pressure group and vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    I'm saying that the state arresting you for offensive comments which are placed under the blanket statement of 'hate speech' is a disgrace.

What would you like me to do? The most I can do is sign a petition, join or a pressure group and vote.
    Harassment is an offence.

That's not to do with free speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    Harassment is an offence.
    Nobody is denying that.

But verbal harassment shouldnt be a crime - it has everything to do with free speech.

Free speech is when you can say anything without being legally persecuted. If I harass someone online using words, I can get arrested for that and I think that is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is denying that.

But verbal harassment shouldnt be a crime - it has everything to do with free speech.

Free speech is when you can say anything without being legally persecuted. If I harass someone online using words, I can get arrested for that and I think that is ridiculous.
    Well consist verbal harassment to the point where you are threatening or intimidating someone else, should be.

Of the three articles you posted, one was Biretbart and another was behind a paywall. The Independent one was scant on detail.

So if you were to say 'I will pay anyone to assault x' should you not be prosecuted? Given that you are claiming you should be able to say anything without any legal ramifications.

ReputationRep:
    Well consist verbal harassment to the point where you are threatening or intimidating someone else, should be.

Of the three articles you posted, one was Biretbart and another was behind a paywall. The Independent one was scant on detail.

So if you were to say 'I will pay anyone to assault x' should you not be prosecuted? Given that you are claiming you should be able to say anything without any legal ramifications.
    What?

Harassment means 'aggresive pressure and intimidating'. I don't know where you pulled threatening out from.

Harassing someone and threatening someone are both very different things. One should be followed up as it possess very real world consequences, while the other is meaningless words or verbal abuse.

As for your example, that is a threat and should be followed up by the law.

But under our currently legal system, people are being arrested for using racist language, making crude jokes etc. and it's abhorrent.

ReputationRep:
    What?

Harassment means 'aggresive pressure and intimidating'. I don't know where you pulled threatening out from.

Harassing someone and threatening someone are both very different things. One should be followed up as it possess very real world consequences, while the other is meaningless words or verbal abuse.

As for your example, that is a threat and should be followed up by the law.

But under our currently legal system, people are being arrested for using racist language, making crude jokes etc. and it's abhorrent.
    The point is, you believe in some restrictions on free speech don't you?

I would imagine you would support prosecuting those who make threats using free speech. I also imagine you support libel laws.

ReputationRep:
    We need a First Amendment-type Act specifically covering free speech.
    We really don't. I don't want to be subjected to vile hatred just because someone feels they have the right to decant it. We have laws in this country that prevent people from harming each other and from stealing. I am satisfied that laws also keep a cap on what people can say. Incitement of hatred of violence is a pretty good line to draw in the sand if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    The point is, you believe in some restrictions on free speech don't you?

I would imagine you would support prosecuting those who make threats using free speech. I also imagine you support libel laws.
    Yes of course.

But I never said I didn't.

I claimed that hate speech shouldn't constitute as an arrestable offense and that it was a disagrace that it is being treated as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    We really don't. I don't want to be subjected to vile hatred just because someone feels they have the right to decant it. We have laws in this country that prevent people from harming each other and from stealing. I am satisfied that laws also keep a cap on what people can say. Incitement of hatred of violence is a pretty good line to draw in the sand if you ask me.
    But the 'incitement to hatred' thing is predicated on perception rather than fact (if one can ever factualise something so broad and open to manipulation). So, for example, people are being accused of all manner of things when they mistakenly use the "wrong" pronoun for someone who has decided to "change" their gender. It is absurd to label that as hate speech and to include 'offensive' as a condition is madness.

What offends you may not offend me in the least and vice versa. It's utter nonsense and is not the business of the State to decide what people can, and can't, say surely? That isn't freedom. Freedom is someone deliberately setting out to offend you, and you deciding not to take offense. It's a personal choice. The State absolutely cannot decide for me what is offensive.

ReputationRep:

Totally agree with you hence my mentioning the petition on the Parliament website a few posts ago.

ReputationRep:
    I rarely believer ANYTHING I read in mainstream media unless there is corroboration.

This problem is obviously serious enough to have warranted a pretty comprehensive report produced annually by spiked-online.com. Look for yourself before you dismiss this. It's their 'Free Speech University Rankings' project.
    Why not invite the "Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth" to your uni and then you can see if free speech works in this country?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.