Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been to offer holder open days for both universities, and have found both to be very nice. I've loved different parts of each uni, but have found their campuses and lifestyles to be fairly equal. I would like a career as a physicist and was wondering if anyone in industry or at uni could give me any insight into how these universities fare in terms of industrial physics jobs. I understand that Warwick has superior reputation, but Bath has very good industry ties, offers a reliable placement year (Warwick doesn't), and my teachers and friends all seem to think that Bath is much nicer university in general. Any opinions would be appreciated!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hsolway)
    I've been to offer holder open days for both universities, and have found both to be very nice. I've loved different parts of each uni, but have found their campuses and lifestyles to be fairly equal. I would like a career as a physicist and was wondering if anyone in industry or at uni could give me any insight into how these universities fare in terms of industrial physics jobs. I understand that Warwick has superior reputation, but Bath has very good industry ties, offers a reliable placement year (Warwick doesn't), and my teachers and friends all seem to think that Bath is much nicer university in general. Any opinions would be appreciated!
    Hello

My name's Lydia and I'm a final year physics student at Bath- so I can definitely give you a bit more info on the Bath side of things.

After experiencing job hunting and university life, I honestly believe that employers see all of the top universities (except maybe Oxbridge) in the same light and wouldn't pick one individual over another due to a slightly superior reputation (which fluctuates all the time anyway).

Getting a 2.1 grade or above from a reputable university in the degree they are looking for is just a brief tick in an employer's box. If you have that, then the defining factor between two candidates is what else they can bring to the table. And that means work and voluntary experience and any additional skills and training. This is indeed at area that Bath excels at.

Here's a list of some of these CV-boosting activities Bath offers:

* The Foreign Languages Center - offers free weekly language classes in a variety of languages at a range of levels: http://www.bath.ac.uk/flc/university...nts/index.html

*Skills training sessions held each week on topics ranging from leadership to personal development and more. See some of the sessions going on currently at: https://www.thesubath.com/skills-training/

*A resource called 'Bath Connection' where Bath graduates can sign and offer free and friendly career advice to current university students looking at careers in their profession: http://www.bath.ac.uk/alumni/help/en...ath-connection

*A building called 'The Edge' which is for arts, music, drama and dancing and offers professional classes from everything from oil painting classes, to saxophone lessons, to Introduction to DJing. These are open to the public and so of high quality, however students get a large subsidy on the price. Find out more here: https://www.edgearts.org/student/

And as you mentioned, Bath do indeed have very strong industry ties and a huge percentage of students go on the industrial sandwich placement as part of their degrees. I personally did a study year abroad instead, and our physics department has ties to many foreign universities including ones in Hong Kong, Germany and America to name a few.

I know this all sounds like a massive marketing spiel, but Bath's extra curricular resources and activities are really something to shout about!

I wish you all the best in your decision making, and if you have any more questions then please don't hesitate to ask

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.