Turn on thread page Beta

Things you DON'T need at university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.m30)
    Awesome! How much revision was done during the year 10 to 11 summer holidays?
    started revision from year 10 onwards. In a week Id say 5-6 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I have a couple of saucepans and use those instead
    Cool! :banana2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Peters)
    oh baby, you havent even gone through A levels xx
    Exactly
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Course books. Dont bother buying them.

ReputationRep:
    It turned out that we submit a lot of our work online, so having a printer in my room just took up desk space. If I need to print then I can use the printers in the library, which do much higher quality printouts anyway
    You could've made some money by selling that printer to those who really need it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Basically this is all you’ll need: 2 plates, a knife, a fork, a pan, a wooden spoon, 7 shirts, 1/2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shoes, 7 pair of socks, 7 pairs of underwear, bed sheets...then stuff like toothbrush, tooth paste, shower gel, shampoo etc. Not much really.

I brought so many things with me and I never used them...I only used the stuff mentioned above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    1/2 pairs of jeans,
    Half a pair of jeans?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    mini whiteboard and pens
    I personally found mine so useful! It did make planning essays so much easier and meant I wasn't wasting so much paper.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I bought all of my books with me to read, turns out I don't have as much desire to read at uni than I did at home so they're wasting space.

I bought all my pairs of shoes with me - big mistake. I bought over 10 pairs and only ever wear 3 on a regular basis. I've just sold 4, one of which I've had over a year and never worn.

Way too many clothes, I don't end up wearing half of them. I've given a lot to charity too once I went through my wardrobe and realised most things either don't fit, or I haven't worn in ages or I just don't like anymore.

Too many oven trays. I rarely use the oven and I bought like 4 with me, waste of space.

My foot massager - I didn't even use this very much at home, never used it at uni and probably won't ever.

A really big winter duvet - I have an electric blanket so I haven't changed my duvet to be thicker this winter, waste of space

All of my jewellery and hair stuff - I rarely go to dressy places so most of it is just gathering dust.

My homely stuff like fairy lights, cute pictures etc. - just gathering dust and space I could be using for other things.

I'm not moving out for another 3 months but I've already packed things away for space or given a lot to charity. The car would have had so much more room if I realised this in September before I moved..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Printer is variable - there is always that one time you need to sprint across campus because there's a queue at the printer nearest your hand in (or it's broken, or there are no free pcs to logon to, etc, etc), and I've missed deadlines because of that

You still probably won't use it much, and arguably the amount of time you'll spend getting it to turn on, getting your personal computer/laptop to remember how to connect to it, etc, etc it's probably about the same.

Technically, any form of decoration for your room will do this, although it is nice to have. I'd second an iron being useless - the only time you'll need it is if you have an interview for a placement/scheme you need to go to (which is mainly relevant for second/third/fourth years)

I think the main thing I brought but didn't use was most of my game/film collection - I ended up just watching/playing the same ones anyway xD

ReputationRep:
    A printer! Everything is handed in on TurnItIn, so I've just wasted time and space getting one!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Luke5125)
    Half a pair of jeans?
    Lol, I meant 1 or 2 pairs
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    A gun?

ReputationRep:
    My top two useless things to bring are a printer and an iron. All of my work was online submission, so I've never really needed the printer (on the rare, non-uni-related occasion where I do, my housemate is happy to let me use hers); and if you can get your clothes out of the dryer fast enough / flatten them out enough on your drying rack, then they don't get wrinkled or creased and they don't need ironing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    A tostie maker shame really as I love tosties
    one of our flatmates brought one of those and honestly if you're a flat that likes to go out a toastie maker is one of the best things to come home to late night when you're still drunk, just sitting around the table all drunkenly eating your cheese toasties. it's the best ;-)

ReputationRep:
    So many mugs and glasses. Thought we were all gonna have mad parties so will have to bring loads of cups lol.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.