Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is foundation year as hard as A Levels or lower watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i am doing an access course and ive been turned down my all my university choices, my teacher said best thing would probably either be clearing or foundation year. the problem with clearing is that i want to do physiotherapy but the universities dont like the access course as it is not as in-depth as A levels. So i was wondering how hard is a foundation year as i am likely to do a foundation year so i can prepare for it.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JerryA)
    i am doing an access course and ive been turned down my all my university choices, my teacher said best thing would probably either be clearing or foundation year. the problem with clearing is that i want to do physiotherapy but the universities dont like the access course as it is not as in-depth as A levels. So i was wondering how hard is a foundation year as i am likely to do a foundation year so i can prepare for it.
    I would have thought you would have been fine with an Access course if your grades were good. Are yu sure its the Access course being the reason you were rejected? Did you get feedback?

I'm not sure a foundation will be hard although to progress you will need to do well in order to be let onto the main degree. they dont travel very well, but they do give you an advantage to get onto the course at the place you study as you know all the lecturers by then and hey know your work.

Feedback is the key and then you can decide on the best way forward.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don’t know, so far in all my units I’ve gotten distinctions but the universities said the course isn’t good enough or that I don’t have enough biology units but I asked my teacher and she said I have loads of biology units. I have emailed them and they still said no my application
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on the course/university really. I did IB, and I found Southampton's Science Foundation Year pretty pedestrian comparatively. The content isn't necessarily easy, but going from 5 day weeks with ~28 contact hours plus tons of pretty varied work to much less contact and more consistently similar assignment formats made things more straightforward. However the Engineering/Physics/etc Foundation there I know was more intensively programmed than the SFY

With Access courses universities tend to have pretty varied approaches, depending on the subject being applied for. I'd suggest contacting some other universities than the ones you applied to see if they would consider you for application next year. Advise them of what your course content is and your results so far, and ask if that meets their entry criteria and if your application would be considered. If they indicate it does, then a) you may be able to apply to them this year through UCAS Extra (not entirely sure on the how that works though) and b) it may be worth checking those specific unis when clearing comes up, as again, you may well be able to nab a place that way. Worst case scenario, at least you have a more realistic idea going forward to reapply next year where you should or should not apply to.

Beyond that, as above, get feedback from the unis you applied to in order to confirm this is the specific problem you're having. It may be they were looking for something else - work experience in the area for example - in which case the above is likely to run into the same issue, and doing a foundation year probably won't help.

ReputationRep:
    There was 5 people who did access last year at my college who got into physiotherapy, this year there is 4 and we all hold at least one offer so i doubt it was the access course itself.

ReputationRep:
    its easier and Ive had better University offers than my friend who had just A Levels abd had achieved higher grades than me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.