Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I got an unconditional offer from reading and it is my firm choice. Now i am ready to choose accomodation , is there anyone here that will study in UoR and in which hall and which type of room will you choose to stay. If anyone has some information about the pharmacy course in Reading please let me know!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Prantone)
    Hello! I got an unconditional offer from reading and it is my firm choice. Now i am ready to choose accomodation , is there anyone here that will study in UoR and in which hall and which type of room will you choose to stay. If anyone has some information about the pharmacy course in Reading please let me know!
    Hello

Congratulations on your offer for Pharmacy, that is great news! I don't study Pharmacy but can get another student ambassador who does to give you some more information.

I stayed in Bridges Hall in first year which was really lovely as it was newly built so I was the second person to have lived in my room. The rooms in Bridges are premium rooms so lightly bigger, with 3/4 beds and you share your bathroom 1 between 3. You also have Wessex hall nearby which is one of the cheaper halls as it is quite old (but the rooms have been refurbished) and also a very sociable hall! Both of these are shared bathroom halls.

If you want en-suite rooms, you have the choice of both premium en-suite or standard rooms. The premium rooms are Mackinder, Childs and Stenton in Park Group where you get a 3/4 bed but also a built in shower instead of a wet room. For standard en-suite rooms you are looking at Greenow and McCombie, St Georges and also Benyon/Sherfield which are around 5 mins off campus.

Then you've also got catered accommodation, where you get around £65 a week on your student card which can be used in any of the specific Eat catering venues on campus e.g. Park Bar and Eat at the Square. All of the catered halls have an eating venue right near the halls such as in Wantage and also Windsor (as park bar is opposite).

Take a look at the accommodation website for more information but hope this has helped you have a summary: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...mmodation.aspx

If you have anymore questions then just let us know!

Alice
    Food Science Placement Student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReading)
    Hello

Congratulations on your offer for Pharmacy, that is great news! I don't study Pharmacy but can get another student ambassador who does to give you some more information.

I stayed in Bridges Hall in first year which was really lovely as it was newly built so I was the second person to have lived in my room. The rooms in Bridges are premium rooms so lightly bigger, with 3/4 beds and you share your bathroom 1 between 3. You also have Wessex hall nearby which is one of the cheaper halls as it is quite old (but the rooms have been refurbished) and also a very sociable hall! Both of these are shared bathroom halls.

If you want en-suite rooms, you have the choice of both premium en-suite or standard rooms. The premium rooms are Mackinder, Childs and Stenton in Park Group where you get a 3/4 bed but also a built in shower instead of a wet room. For standard en-suite rooms you are looking at Greenow and McCombie, St Georges and also Benyon/Sherfield which are around 5 mins off campus.

Then you've also got catered accommodation, where you get around £65 a week on your student card which can be used in any of the specific Eat catering venues on campus e.g. Park Bar and Eat at the Square. All of the catered halls have an eating venue right near the halls such as in Wantage and also Windsor (as park bar is opposite).

Take a look at the accommodation website for more information but hope this has helped you have a summary: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...mmodation.aspx

If you have anymore questions then just let us know!

Alice

In wessex hall how many bedrooms with a washbasin share 1 bathroom ?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

One of our Pharmacy reps has been in touch and given the following information about the course:

"The course at Reading is what I would describe as a very integrated course. From first year, students gain exposure to aspects of pharmacy only gained in the latter years of the course at other universities. For example, you gain a taste of dispensing right from the start, participate in consultations, meet real life patients which you interview, as well as go on placements.

I like the course at Reading because we just have few modules which are bigger, as opposed to 8-10 modules which a lot of unis organise it as - I prefer less modules that are bigger because you go in only 3-4 times for exams, not 8! In addition, you study a range of biology, chemistry, mathematics, psychology and even law right from first year! There is a calculations exam every year, but so much materials and support is given which makes it easy and you don't feel so alone. Also, 1st years are paired up with a 'STaR mentor' which is a 2nd or 3rd yer student, who is able to provide additional support outside teaching house should you need.

I love the course at reading - also you only do 1 or 2 exams in January so most of your exams would be in the summer. And as said already, staff offer so much support as well as the uni as a whole (for example, we have 'maths help' running every week for EVERYONE who needs extra help in maths!) so it's such a great place to study, the campus is massive and has everything you would need if you don't want to go anywhere for a week or so (e.g. during exams! we even have a market for fresh fruit and veg etc) and the course is also so organised, you're going to love it here.
    Anything else please just ask!"

I hope that helps give you a better perspective of studying Pharmacy at Reading!

Regarding your second question about shared bathrooms in Wessex Hall, it usually works out to be about 3 people to a bathroom but this can vary. However, from speaking to friends who had shared bathrooms, they never fond it to be a problem and actually quite liked it as the bathrooms were cleaned for them regularly.

As mentioned above, if you have any other questions then feel free to ask.

Dan
    Second Year Student Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    hey..That's so exciting that you got the place.I am looking forward to my interview next week Saturday.May you please help me on which question I should prepare on.Kudzayi
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by kudzayi taruwona)
    hey..That's so exciting that you got the place.I am looking forward to my interview next week Saturday.May you please help me on which question I should prepare on.Kudzayi
    Hello

Congratulations on being offered an interview at Reading that is so exciting, well done Unfortunately, I don't study Pharmacy myself but I have asked some Pharmacy students to let me know any tips for the interview process. However, from what I gather it is a fairly informal process with a 30 minute paper based test (based on basic maths and personal values) and an introductory talk. If you are attending the rest of the day there will be a taster lecture and tour of the department, plus you will be able to talk to current students and ask any questions you may have!

I hope this helps and best of luck for Saturday!

Alice

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Congratulations on being offered an interview at Reading that is so exciting, well done Unfortunately, I don't study Pharmacy myself but I have asked some Pharmacy students to let me know any tips for the interview process. However, from what I gather it is a fairly informal process with a 30 minute paper based test (based on basic maths and personal values) and an introductory talk. If you are attending the rest of the day there will be a taster lecture and tour of the department, plus you will be able to talk to current students and ask any questions you may have!

I hope this helps and best of luck for Saturday!

Alice
    thanks you soo much Alice.

I will tell you how it goes. Its on tomorrow.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    thanks you soo much Alice.

I will tell you how it goes. Its on tomorrow.
    That's okay - I hope it went well for you. Just let us know if you have anymore questions about Reading!

Alice

ReputationRep:
    That's okay - I hope it went well for you. Just let us know if you have anymore questions about Reading!

Alice
    Hey...

When i did my interview they said they would reply me after 3 days but now..its close to 2 weeks without any reply.What could be going on. I feel stressed out.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey...

When i did my interview they said they would reply me after 3 days but now..its close to 2 weeks without any reply.What could be going on. I feel stressed out.
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you haven't heard back from the University regarding your interview outcome. However, what with it being the bank holiday weekend for Easter and the University closure period it may take them slightly longer to reply to you as the lecturers will have been off for a period of time. If you do not hear back in the next few days then I would suggest emailing the department on [email protected].

Hope this helps and you hear back from them soon!

Alice

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you haven't heard back from the University regarding your interview outcome. However, what with it being the bank holiday weekend for Easter and the University closure period it may take them slightly longer to reply to you as the lecturers will have been off for a period of time. If you do not hear back in the next few days then I would suggest emailing the department on [email protected].

Hope this helps and you hear back from them soon!

Alice
    thanks dolll

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been offered a place at Reading and I am trying to make my choice now. As I live in Bristol at the minute I am trying to decide where to go and if shall I move or commute. Could anyone tell me about the first and second-year timetable? how many hours do you spend at the University every week? are the lectures every day of the week? Thanks in advance.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by alaaa)
    Hi, I have been offered a place at Reading and I am trying to make my choice now. As I live in Bristol at the minute I am trying to decide where to go and if shall I move or commute. Could anyone tell me about the first and second-year timetable? how many hours do you spend at the University every week? are the lectures every day of the week? Thanks in advance.
    Hello!

Your timetable will really depend on what you are studying as it varies greatly across subjects- is it Pharmacy you are planning to study or another subject? I can do some research once I am aware of which subject to give you further details!

Abbie
    Primary Education student and Student Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Your timetable will really depend on what you are studying as it varies greatly across subjects- is it Pharmacy you are planning to study or another subject? I can do some research once I am aware of which subject to give you further details!

Abbie
    Primary Education student and Student Ambassador

Hi, Abbie thank you for your reply. Yes it is a mPharm degree starting this September. Thank you :-)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by alaaa)
    Hi, Abbie thank you for your reply. Yes it is a mPharm degree starting this September. Thank you :-)

Hi,

I have spoken to a friend who has just finished their third year of the MPharm. They told me that the contact hours are higher than a lot of subjects and that in first year they would typically be in university 09:00-18:00 most days of the week.

In their second year this dropped down to three and a half days a week but the amount of group work increased so they still needed to meet at university to work on projects.

Then in third year the hours dropped a little bit more but the group work level stayed the same as second year.

Overall, I think commuting from Bristol would be very difficult. Also, you may then find it difficult to take part in societies and sports etc which provide lots of great opportunities!

If you have any other questions, let us know!

Dan

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have spoken to a friend who has just finished their third year of the MPharm. They told me that the contact hours are higher than a lot of subjects and that in first year they would typically be in university 09:00-18:00 most days of the week.

In their second year this dropped down to three and a half days a week but the amount of group work increased so they still needed to meet at university to work on projects.

Then in third year the hours dropped a little bit more but the group work level stayed the same as second year.

Overall, I think commuting from Bristol would be very difficult. Also, you may then find it difficult to take part in societies and sports etc which provide lots of great opportunities!

If you have any other questions, let us know!

Dan
    Thank you Dan for your help

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.