Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in first year and I haven't been able to make any friends on my course. I really want to talk to people but I'm just so shy and self-conscious. I go to society meeting but I struggle to speak to people. Most people in my accomodation take drugs regularly and I feel very isolated from them because I don't do it and i feel like they look down on me. I want to try and make friends in second year but I'm scared it's too late. I don't know if other people will want to make friends in second year, and I'm scared I've already made a bad impression on people by being so shy.

ReputationRep:
    Being shy is not a bad thing. Making friends can be very difficult when going into new situations such as school. What things do you like to do? If you are able to find an outlet that provides the things you like, you'll find other people who like the same thing. Just don't be something you're not. You don't have to change to try and fit in. You are probably the only person that thinks you made a bad impression because you're shy. More than likely, other people will not be thinking that. You're projecting whatever doubts you have in your head. (Trust me, I've been there). Also, don't give yourself a deadline for making friends. It will come whenever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susss)
    I am in first year and I haven't been able to make any friends on my course. I really want to talk to people but I'm just so shy and self-conscious. I go to society meeting but I struggle to speak to people. Most people in my accomodation take drugs regularly and I feel very isolated from them because I don't do it and i feel like they look down on me. I want to try and make friends in second year but I'm scared it's too late. I don't know if other people will want to make friends in second year, and I'm scared I've already made a bad impression on people by being so shy.
    I created an account just for this. This is just a phase in your life, you should not feel bound by this, after graduation, you will meet people, your character and circumstances will change. Remember this, do not jeopardize your life just for some social acceptance at this point in your life, take this time to reflect on who you want to be and stick by it, use the loneliness as a constant remainder as to why you chose to be better. At the end of it, you will become better. Be strong

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I see that you're a first year and struggling to make friends - I hope what I tell you would help. If you are interested to rent a house for the next academic year with 3 other international students who are willing to not just live under the same roof but doing things together, going out and making memories then I have just the place. They also join societies which you are more than welcomed to tag along in case you don't feel like going alone. The best part is that they are also first years going into second year! Please do not hesitate to contact me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 9, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.