Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys i’m in year 10 so you’re probably thinking i shouldn’t worry so much about my gcses but i’m seriously concerned. i’ve always been bad at science but I thought last year I would be able to pattern my skills and become good at it. However I fear it is too late. I’m already disadvantaged in the future as I’m only taking 8 gcses unless the science department enter me for triple at the end of the year which is mythical rn. I really dk what to do so I haven’t tried anything yet but it seems like everything we learn in class is different to the exam questions - the style of questions is really bizzare. I do AQA and I was wondering if anyone knew any tips and sites etc. that would help me improve my science. I’m currently the wort in chemistry in particular, I’ve been getting Grade 1s in every assessment we take. it’s ridiculous compared to the 7’s and 8s in other subjects, i really hope to improve. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    http://freesciencelessons.co.uk

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBg...R4QIK2e0EfJwaA

https://getrevising.co.uk/resources/...ects/chemistry

https://www.primrosekitten.com/pages...parate-science

ReputationRep:
    ok get the textbook
    read through a chapter
    make flash cards on the chapter then do some past paper questions on that chapter
    repeat for the whole book
    then do a full paper and see your grade, work out which section you're weakest on and got the least marks
    go over that section and make new flash cards for it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Don’t berate yourself or make yourself feel bad all you need to do is find a good way to revise for yourself.
    Watch videos if you are a visual learner or you can write notes from the text book, extract the key information. Keep writing notes and memories them and see if you remember the key things. You could also test yourself and see where your weakest points are. Hope it helps and I am in year 11 and I am starting my gcse in two months time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m2b)
    Hello guys i’m in year 10 so you’re probably thinking i shouldn’t worry so much about my gcses but i’m seriously concerned. i’ve always been bad at science but I thought last year I would be able to pattern my skills and become good at it. However I fear it is too late. I’m already disadvantaged in the future as I’m only taking 8 gcses unless the science department enter me for triple at the end of the year which is mythical rn. I really dk what to do so I haven’t tried anything yet but it seems like everything we learn in class is different to the exam questions - the style of questions is really bizzare. I do AQA and I was wondering if anyone knew any tips and sites etc. that would help me improve my science. I’m currently the wort in chemistry in particular, I’ve been getting Grade 1s in every assessment we take. it’s ridiculous compared to the 7’s and 8s in other subjects, i really hope to improve. Thanks!
    #Grade 89 in combined science eee!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, God only knows what the government done to the gcse system after 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m2b)
    If you are getting 1's I'd just give up if I were you. If you fill yourself with confidence and this "can do" attitude it will only lead to disappointment. I know this from experience as I was in a similar position last year in year 11 I got straight grade 1-3 / G-D in all my subjects. The only subject I passed was finance. I revised my ares off for the real exams and ended up failing maths and english. I only passed 3 subjects. All my friends were convincing me that I passed but I did'nt even get into college. Dont make the same mistake I did. I am now doing a construction apprenticeship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m2b)
    Don't let yourself get down. I had a similar situation when I was at school, although GCSEs have changed since then. When I was in year 9 we did SATS, I only got a level 5 so I got really down about it and felt like I have made no progress (given the fact I got a level 5 in year 6). My teacher wanted to put me forward for GNVQ science not even GCSE! had to beg my teacher to put me down for GCSE. Anyway come year 10, I was entered in for higher paper GCSE, worked hard and got AA (double award).

TOP TIP-GET A CGP REVISION GUIDE SPECIFIC TO YOUR EXAM SPEC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb)
    If you are getting 1's I'd just give up if I were you. If you fill yourself with confidence and this "can do" attitude it will only lead to disappointment. I know this from experience as I was in a similar position last year in year 11 I got straight grade 1-3 / G-D in all my subjects. The only subject I passed was finance. I revised my ares off for the real exams and ended up failing maths and english. I only passed 3 subjects. All my friends were convincing me that I passed but I did'nt even get into college. Dont make the same mistake I did. I am now doing a construction apprenticeship.
    in the sane position bro, im doing 12hr shifts at maccas.

ReputationRep:
    Take the time to go through each topic and make sure you understand what's happening and, in some cases, why.

Read through textbooks and revision guides and make notes from them. Go crazy. If it helps you understand, write it down.

I like to draw diagrams for various processes but also to give a more visual view of what's going on. Even if I can't remember the process in the exam, I can draw the picture which will help me to remember the steps of what happens. For example, the vaccination process could be a good one to draw out, but also images for things like diffraction.

Do past papers. If you get questions wrong, look at why you got them wrong. Ask your teacher for help and make sure you understand everything.

Make flash cards for your subjects and try to slim down your notes so that a topic will only be a handful of cards. It's all about trying to understand everything and shorten your notes into you only need to remember a small thing to remember everything for that.

ReputationRep:
    Nag your parents to get you a private tutor. 10-15 sessions should get you to a grade 9.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.