Turn on thread page Beta

Weird CIE A Level Physics 9702 rounding system watch

ReputationRep:
    The thing is that I’m always practicing with past papers, and whenever I mark the answers, I get the s.f wrong. I don’t know wether they penalise you for it. I’ve been told that I should use the the smallest s.f given in the question, and that’s what I’ve been doing, but despite that, I’m still getting them wrong.

E.g: I just did a past paper and the question was an easy one: The Vrms of an AC source is 6.0 Volts, calculate its maximum value. I multiplied 6*sqrt(2) and gave me 8.4853 and I rounded it to 8.5 (cause the Voltage is given in 2 s.f hence using 2 s.f for the answer). But it seems that the answer is 8.48 !!!!!!!!!! And this led me to score zero on the following parts of the question cause they were based on it.

Can someone please explain me how it works. I’ve got many more examples, that’s just the latest one I did.

Name:  79DF3E30-1DD4-4D38-8395-0BCA7E6292B4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  5.2 KB
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    In my experience 3 sf is the safest bet in a theory paper unless the Q tells you otherwise.

It's when you do the practical one you have to be more alert to the sf in the data you're using.

Edited to add: It's pretty easy to justify giving the answer to 1 more sig fig than the question anyway. If you stick rigidly to the 'smallest sf given' rule then 3/2 would be 2, rather than 1.5.
    Even in the practical part where you're completing data tables etc the m/s often gives eg 'to 3 or 4 sf' ie, giving you a choice between the 'smallest sf given' and one more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Iouass)
    The thing is that I’m always practicing with past papers, and whenever I mark the answers, I get the s.f wrong. I don’t know wether they penalise you for it. I’ve been told that I should use the the smallest s.f given in the question, and that’s what I’ve been doing, but despite that, I’m still getting them wrong.

E.g: I just did a past paper and the question was an easy one: The Vrms of an AC source is 6.0 Volts, calculate its maximum value. I multiplied 6*sqrt(2) and gave me 8.4853 and I rounded it to 8.5 (cause the Voltage is given in 2 s.f hence using 2 s.f for the answer). But it seems that the answer is 8.48 !!!!!!!!!! And this led me to score zero on the following parts of the question cause they were based on it.

Can someone please explain me how it works. I’ve got many more examples, that’s just the latest one I did.

Name:  79DF3E30-1DD4-4D38-8395-0BCA7E6292B4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  5.2 KB
    I can empathize your frustration.

(Original post by Iouass)
    Based on what you had done or written, you would not score zero but a full mark. Note that 8.48 is not a rounded up number.

I extract a portion of an Examiner Report to show how CIE deals with SF:
    "...It is expected that the number of significant figures in calculated quantities should be the same or one more than the number of significant figures in the raw data...."

Whenever you use MS, do not blindly follow it. Read the cover page of the MS which says:

This mark scheme is published as an aid to teachers and students, to indicate the requirements of the examination. It shows the basis on which Examiners were instructed to award marks. It does not indicate the details of the discussions that took place at an Examiners’ meeting before marking began.

All Examiners are instructed that alternative correct answers and unexpected approaches in candidates’ scripts must be given marks that fairly reflect the relevant knowledge and skills demonstrated.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.