Which Sussex University accommodation is best? Watch

Lost_Izzy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I'm applying for the university accommodation at Sussex but I don't know which one is the best; socially, comfort and money wise. I like the look of Northfield and swanborough - but is it worth the money? (Also, Is having your own bathroom worth it at Uni?)
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lost_Izzy)
Hi I'm applying for the university accommodation at Sussex but I don't know which one is the best; socially, comfort and money wise. I like the look of Northfield and swanborough - but is it worth the money? (Also, Is having your own bathroom worth it at Uni?)
There's an FAQ about shared vs en-suite bathrooms here :borat:

I'll move this to the Sussex subforum too so hopefully a Sussex student will pick up on this.
Lost_Izzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
There's an FAQ about shared vs en-suite bathrooms here :borat:

I'll move this to the Sussex subforum too so hopefully a Sussex student will pick up on this.
Thank you ^.^
fairplaytoyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I stayed in Northfield last year, and loved it. I'm even planning to live there for my final year as an RA so it must be good! Not only are the rooms and kitchens extremely spacious, we also had the Northfield social centre compromising of a TV room, launderette and a social room with computers, printers, sofas and a ping-pong table. The social centre is only around 5 mins walk away even from the furthest block, and if you're lucky to be in one of the blocks closer to it then it's just across the road. The only thing I would say with Northfield (I was in Block 3, closer to the forest so that might explain this) was that I had no phone signal. I'm with EE, and flatmates with other providers such as O2 did so take that as you will.

I think it is manageable not having your own bathroom but I really liked having my own, it meant that I had the comfort of showering whenever and didn't have to queue at any point. Although I live with 5 other people now in 2nd year, sharing a bathroom, and it's perfectly fine as long as everyone you lives with is clean! (Obviously this is harder to influence in halls when you're randomly sorted together).

If you have any more Northfield specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Lost_Izzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by fairplaytoyou)
I stayed in Northfield last year, and loved it. I'm even planning to live there for my final year as an RA so it must be good! Not only are the rooms and kitchens extremely spacious, we also had the Northfield social centre compromising of a TV room, launderette and a social room with computers, printers, sofas and a ping-pong table. The social centre is only around 5 mins walk away even from the furthest block, and if you're lucky to be in one of the blocks closer to it then it's just across the road. The only thing I would say with Northfield (I was in Block 3, closer to the forest so that might explain this) was that I had no phone signal. I'm with EE, and flatmates with other providers such as O2 did so take that as you will.

I think it is manageable not having your own bathroom but I really liked having my own, it meant that I had the comfort of showering whenever and didn't have to queue at any point. Although I live with 5 other people now in 2nd year, sharing a bathroom, and it's perfectly fine as long as everyone you lives with is clean! (Obviously this is harder to influence in halls when you're randomly sorted together).

Thank you I think I'm going to go with Northfield as my first choice as it is the best one for me, but I was wondering what the social life is like there (i.e meeting people, parties, etc...).
fairplaytoyou
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lost_Izzy)
Thank you I think I'm going to go with Northfield as my first choice as it is the best one for me, but I was wondering what the social life is like there (i.e meeting people, parties, etc...).

I found the social life to be really good! Meeting people was very easy, as we had a block chat before university had started, and so we all knew a little bit about each other so my whole block was really friendly with each other.

In terms of parties, it really does depend on what your block is like - mine was relatively quiet compared to others, although we did have a sort of unofficially designated 'party flat' where everyone went, but even if your block turns out to be quiet (which will be a bonus come exam time), it's really easy to pop over to another block and attend a flat party there, people tended to be super welcoming
Lost_Izzy
Rep:
?
I found the social life to be really good! Meeting people was very easy, as we had a block chat before university had started, and so we all knew a little bit about each other so my whole block was really friendly with each other.

In terms of parties, it really does depend on what your block is like - mine was relatively quiet compared to others, although we did have a sort of unofficially designated 'party flat' where everyone went, but even if your block turns out to be quiet (which will be a bonus come exam time), it's really easy to pop over to another block and attend a flat party there, people tended to be super welcoming
What did you think of Park houses? Is it quite social? What is the most social accommodation?
chloerachel21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

hi, did you apply for designated 'quiet' or same-sex housing at all? thanks!
fairplaytoyou
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chloerachel21)
I know I'm three months late (I apologise!) but did you end up going for designated quiet/same-sex housing in the end? I personally didn't opt for it because I felt like having a gender mix was better for me but I know people who did go for same sex - so an all girls flat and they liked it!
KMLeeson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chloerachel21)
If I'm honest, it's not really worth applying for 'quiet', I applied for 'quiet' and 'mature' and got neither. I know people who got same sex though, I ended up swapping into a single-sex flat actually.
DoctorDoo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I accepted the offer for lewes court. Is it good?
KMLeeson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DoctorDoo)
I accepted the offer for lewes court. Is it good?
They're the biggest rooms on campus which I found brilliant! I ended up liking it more than my Northfield room that I had for my first two months. They are a little older so there's more stains and usage marks but they're nice! Did you get with or without ensuite?
DoctorDoo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KMLeeson)
They're the biggest rooms on campus which I found brilliant! I ended up liking it more than my Northfield room that I had for my first two months. They are a little older so there's more stains and usage marks but they're nice! Did you get with or without ensuite?
With ensuite
KMLeeson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DoctorDoo)
With ensuite
That's what I had. The showers are a bit cramped but overall they're good rooms!
Farahalatrash
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey! I got offered accommodation at Northfield at Block 19.. where is that exactly located between the other blocks and is it a good one?
Frost24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey!

I got East slope lullington. Is it good?

I was reading online a bit and they said there were rodents... are they talking about the old east slope?

Thank you!
KMLeeson
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Farahalatrash)
Hey! I got offered accommodation at Northfield at Block 19.. where is that exactly located between the other blocks and is it a good one?
If I remember correctly, block 19 is to the left of Northfield. You are right next to the South Downs which means nice views and Lewes Court block 2 which means you're a lot closer to central campus than some of the blocks. You'll probably have less foot traffic other than those who are going to your block which I think is a good thing!
KMLeeson
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Frost24)
Hey!

I was reading online a bit and they said there were rodents... are they talking about the old east slope?

Thank you!
Rodents would definitely be the old east slope, so don't worry about that! The new east slope is still being built so there may be a bit of construction noise during the day but the rooms are in brilliant condition because they're brand new, which will be nice.
chloerachel2199
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Frost24)
Hey!

Thank you!
i had a couple friends who lived in Lullington and they said it was great! it's rly near the reception so it'll be great being able to do your washing & collect post easily (i lived in Camber which was much further away lol). there definitely aren't any rodents, although as KMLeeson said Lullington is the closest block to the newer constructions, so you may hear a bit of noise depending on what side of the block you're on. (although i did drive through campus this week and the main construction of the buildings seem to be done.)

from what I remember, the flats in Lullington have 6 people so they're a pretty decent size, and bedrooms are all en-suite which is great! Also, the steps to walk down to lectures from East Slope is literally right next to Lullington, so it'll be super easy going to lectures and the rest of campus. Also, down those steps is the co-op and canteen so you're in a perfect spot in terms of accessibility lmk if u have any other questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (280)
60.87%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.78%
No- I want it (124)
26.96%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.39%

Watched Threads