Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm applying for the university accommodation at Sussex but I don't know which one is the best; socially, comfort and money wise. I like the look of Northfield and swanborough - but is it worth the money? (Also, Is having your own bathroom worth it at Uni?)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lost_Izzy)
    Hi I'm applying for the university accommodation at Sussex but I don't know which one is the best; socially, comfort and money wise. I like the look of Northfield and swanborough - but is it worth the money? (Also, Is having your own bathroom worth it at Uni?)
    There's an FAQ about shared vs en-suite bathrooms here :borat:

I'll move this to the Sussex subforum too so hopefully a Sussex student will pick up on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    There's an FAQ about shared vs en-suite bathrooms here :borat:

I'll move this to the Sussex subforum too so hopefully a Sussex student will pick up on this.
    Thank you ^.^

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in Northfield last year, and loved it. I'm even planning to live there for my final year as an RA so it must be good! Not only are the rooms and kitchens extremely spacious, we also had the Northfield social centre compromising of a TV room, launderette and a social room with computers, printers, sofas and a ping-pong table. The social centre is only around 5 mins walk away even from the furthest block, and if you're lucky to be in one of the blocks closer to it then it's just across the road. The only thing I would say with Northfield (I was in Block 3, closer to the forest so that might explain this) was that I had no phone signal. I'm with EE, and flatmates with other providers such as O2 did so take that as you will.

I think it is manageable not having your own bathroom but I really liked having my own, it meant that I had the comfort of showering whenever and didn't have to queue at any point. Although I live with 5 other people now in 2nd year, sharing a bathroom, and it's perfectly fine as long as everyone you lives with is clean! (Obviously this is harder to influence in halls when you're randomly sorted together).

If you have any more Northfield specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairplaytoyou)
    I stayed in Northfield last year, and loved it. I'm even planning to live there for my final year as an RA so it must be good! Not only are the rooms and kitchens extremely spacious, we also had the Northfield social centre compromising of a TV room, launderette and a social room with computers, printers, sofas and a ping-pong table. The social centre is only around 5 mins walk away even from the furthest block, and if you're lucky to be in one of the blocks closer to it then it's just across the road. The only thing I would say with Northfield (I was in Block 3, closer to the forest so that might explain this) was that I had no phone signal. I'm with EE, and flatmates with other providers such as O2 did so take that as you will.

I think it is manageable not having your own bathroom but I really liked having my own, it meant that I had the comfort of showering whenever and didn't have to queue at any point. Although I live with 5 other people now in 2nd year, sharing a bathroom, and it's perfectly fine as long as everyone you lives with is clean! (Obviously this is harder to influence in halls when you're randomly sorted together).

Thank you I think I'm going to go with Northfield as my first choice as it is the best one for me, but I was wondering what the social life is like there (i.e meeting people, parties, etc...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lost_Izzy)
    Thank you I think I'm going to go with Northfield as my first choice as it is the best one for me, but I was wondering what the social life is like there (i.e meeting people, parties, etc...).

I found the social life to be really good! Meeting people was very easy, as we had a block chat before university had started, and so we all knew a little bit about each other so my whole block was really friendly with each other.

In terms of parties, it really does depend on what your block is like - mine was relatively quiet compared to others, although we did have a sort of unofficially designated 'party flat' where everyone went, but even if your block turns out to be quiet (which will be a bonus come exam time), it's really easy to pop over to another block and attend a flat party there, people tended to be super welcoming

ReputationRep:
    I found the social life to be really good! Meeting people was very easy, as we had a block chat before university had started, and so we all knew a little bit about each other so my whole block was really friendly with each other.

In terms of parties, it really does depend on what your block is like - mine was relatively quiet compared to others, although we did have a sort of unofficially designated 'party flat' where everyone went, but even if your block turns out to be quiet (which will be a bonus come exam time), it's really easy to pop over to another block and attend a flat party there, people tended to be super welcoming
    What did you think of Park houses? Is it quite social? What is the most social accommodation?

ReputationRep:

hi, did you apply for designated 'quiet' or same-sex housing at all? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloerachel21)
    I know I'm three months late (I apologise!) but did you end up going for designated quiet/same-sex housing in the end? I personally didn't opt for it because I felt like having a gender mix was better for me but I know people who did go for same sex - so an all girls flat and they liked it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloerachel21)
    If I'm honest, it's not really worth applying for 'quiet', I applied for 'quiet' and 'mature' and got neither. I know people who got same sex though, I ended up swapping into a single-sex flat actually.

ReputationRep:
    I accepted the offer for lewes court. Is it good?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorDoo)
    I accepted the offer for lewes court. Is it good?
    They're the biggest rooms on campus which I found brilliant! I ended up liking it more than my Northfield room that I had for my first two months. They are a little older so there's more stains and usage marks but they're nice! Did you get with or without ensuite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KMLeeson)
    They're the biggest rooms on campus which I found brilliant! I ended up liking it more than my Northfield room that I had for my first two months. They are a little older so there's more stains and usage marks but they're nice! Did you get with or without ensuite?
    With ensuite
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorDoo)
    With ensuite
    That's what I had. The showers are a bit cramped but overall they're good rooms!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 10, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.