Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni of Essex journalism interview and applicant day? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview and applicant day at the University of Essex next week for journalism, which includes a general knowledge test. I'm assuming that should be basic 'key people in x party', 'duties of y type of editor' kinds of thing, and the interview will obviously be largely standard 'why journalism' etc things, but I'm wondering if anyone has any more specific advice? Given how they stress their limited places at their open days, I'd like any small edge I can get. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1984)
    I have an interview and applicant day at the University of Essex next week for journalism, which includes a general knowledge test. I'm assuming that should be basic 'key people in x party', 'duties of y type of editor' kinds of thing, and the interview will obviously be largely standard 'why journalism' etc things, but I'm wondering if anyone has any more specific advice? Given how they stress their limited places at their open days, I'd like any small edge I can get. Thanks in advance.
    Hi there,

I am working as an Applicant Day Ambassador for the Department of Sociology and from what I know the interviews are taken as an opportunity to discuss your passion and interest for your desired course. I would suggest going over your personal statement and prepare some questions to ask yourself.

I cannot advise you on the general test aspect, as I have no knowledge about it, but I would recommend, as you have said, revising the basic aspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexStudent95)
    Hi there,

I am working as an Applicant Day Ambassador for the Department of Sociology and from what I know the interviews are taken as an opportunity to discuss your passion and interest for your desired course. I would suggest going over your personal statement and prepare some questions to ask yourself.

I cannot advise you on the general test aspect, as I have no knowledge about it, but I would recommend, as you have said, revising the basic aspects.
    Thanks a lot! And thank you for being an ambassador, weird as it may sound. I'd have been quite literally lost at open days without you all taking the time.

ReputationRep:
    Not applied for Essex but this sounds very similar to the test I had to do for De Montfort for their Journalism course.
    The general knowledge test is basically to show you have an interest in current affairs and news, including popular entertainment. My advice is to just be aware of what is in the news and has been relevant over the past few months, as well as having general knowledge of common acronyms used within the industry and in general.

Some example questions from the test I took (which was in December):

1. Known as "The Footsie" what do the letters FTSE stand for?
    2. Who is the Mayor of London?
    3. Which singer died on Christmas Day 2016?
    4. Who won I'm a Celebrity in 2017?
    5. Which Hollywood executive was accused of widespread sexual misconduct in late 2017?
    6. Name the state who wanted a Spanish referendum.
    7. Who is the next Doctor Who actor?
    8. What does "BBC" stand for?
    9. Which African president resigned last year following a coup?
    10. Which country recently reinstated cinemas?

It's worth mentioning that there were 20 questions and each was worth 2 marks - again this might not be the same for your test but if it is you can assume that getting close to an answer but not getting it entirely correct is worth 1 mark, e.g. writing British Broadcasting Company rather than British Broadcasting Corporation may yield 1 mark for accuracy.

Don't stress about it too much, just keep on top of recent news.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.