Turn on thread page Beta

London rent isn't so expensive imho. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.
    I was looking for the prices of the rent in London.

Lots of people in this forum told me that are very high, while I found houses with 350-400 pound per month, which in my opinion are not high prices.
    Obviously we are talking about not very big houses.

What do you think?

Thanks
    WiSi.

ReputationRep:
    Londra? are you Italian? I'd use London in the future to cause less confusion.

London is significantly higher to live in than anywhere else in the UK. But if you're an international student you're already prepared to pay double the tuition fees so I'm not surprised that you don't personally find it expensive.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Housing in London is extremely expensive. London is a very big place. I've corrected your title for you. It's best to use the localised name when discussing London with English natives as we won't all understand other names for London (i.e. Londres, Londra, Londen, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYaar)
    Londra? are you Italian? I'd use London in the future to cause less confusion.

London is significantly higher to live in than anywhere else in the UK. But if you're an international student you're already prepared to pay double the tuition fees so I'm not surprised that you don't personally find it expensive.
    Why are you using Londra?
    Anyway, i was talking about houses rents and not tuition fees.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Because you referred to London as Londra in your post, which would naturally confuse a native speaker of English, because they call the city London.

ReputationRep:
    i shared a room, yes that means i slept in a room with another person.... in a house in zone 3 (outside of central london) in tottenham, for 670£ a month rent, through student accomodation......thats a ton of money!!!

most of my friends paid around 12,000 a year to get a solo apartment.

London is really expensive.

Not to mention even the tube costs tons, and if you live close enough to not have to use the tube you will end up being in an area with central london shopping prices.

At least in zone 3 i could shop at lidl for 50-60 £ a week.. double that bill in central london..

no matter what you need at least £1,600 to survive in london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Are you an idiot? the question was rhetorical, and I clearly referred to the living costs, which includes housing.

ReputationRep:
    damn, i'm paying ~1k a month for a 1 bed and that's just living near canary wharf (east london)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYaar)
    Are you an idiot? the question was rhetorical, and I clearly referred to the living costs, which includes housing.
    place nice he has dreams of coming to the uk lol.

theresa may has conceded to him and you need to also 😂😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    damn, i'm paying ~1k a month for a 1 bed and that's just living near canary wharf (east london)
    right in line......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Housing in London is extremely expensive. London is a very big place. I've corrected your title for you. It's best to use the localised name when discussing London with English natives as we won't all understand other names for London (i.e. Londres, Londra, Londen, etc.)
    Have a look here, https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-t...ral/1288282713.
    It's not expensive.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Have a look here, https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-t...ral/1288282713.
    It's not expensive.
    What you are showing me is a two bedroom flat in Finchley (which is not central London), 11km from Central London and it is priced at £320 per WEEK. I feel the language barrier might be causing for you to misinterpret some things.

That means the rent for this place is £1,280 per month. This likely won't include other fees for example electricity and heating etc., so add at least £50 on top of that cost.

ReputationRep:
    What you are showing me is a two bedroom flat in Finchley (which is not central London), 11km from Central London and it is priced at £320 per WEEK. I feel the language barrier might be causing for you to misinterpret some things.

That means the rent for this place is £1,280 per month. This likely won't include other fees for example electricity and heating etc., so add at least £50 on top of that cost.
    Sorry, I put a wrong link https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-t...nw4/1277597647.

Anyway, where I live now I pay 500 and I have to pay on my own electricity, gas, etc... and you have to pay from them even if you do not use it.
    If I do not use electricity I have to pay 40 euros, just as a tax.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Sorry, I put a wrong link https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-t...nw4/1277597647.

Anyway, where I live now I pay 500 and I have to pay on my own electricity, gas, etc... and you have to pay from them even if you do not use it.
    The two things you have just showed me aren't even directly comparable. This is a flat share (aka colocation), you share all of these facilities, only the bedroom is yours and that's still £670 a month. That's 760€ a month. I'm really quite concerned you don't seem to understand the economics of this but are considering entering into a tenancy where you don't seem to understand the terms being imposed on you. You're paying £670 for a bedroom, my friend. That's it.

BILLS not included. So it's at LEAST £720 a month/815€ a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Hi guys.
    I was looking for the prices of the rent in London.

Lots of people in this forum told me that are very high, while I found houses with 350-400 pound per month, which in my opinion are not high prices.
    Obviously we are talking about not very big houses.

What do you think?

Thanks
    WiSi.
    How did you find a house for that price per month? Does it include bills/without bills. A house to rent in London will probably range from £900pcm on the outskirts and £1.6K+ pcm nearer to central zones1/2
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)

That’s a 3 bed house share...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    That’s a 3 bed house share...
    Like??? It's not just me is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    How did you find a house for that price per month? Does it include bills/without bills. A house to rent in London will probably range from £900pcm on the outskirts and £1.6K+ pcm nearer to central zones1/2
    Have a look through the thread, turns out it was per week. :doh:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    They haven't, they've misunderstood 'pw' because they didn't understand what it meant on listings.

ReputationRep:
    Like??? It's not just me is it?
    Hahaha his will power is admirable, unfortunately it isn’t aligned with reality. I doubt he’ll find cheaper accommodation in London than he has in Italy, which looks like his intention.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.