Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I just received a rejection email from Oxford. I did not get into the UNIQ summer residential for medicine. I applied with 7A*s which was the minimum requirement however, failed to secure my place. Although, Oxford claims that this will not affect my application as an undergraduate, I am genuinely swinging towards applying to Cambridge. Oxford has a higher focus on GCSE grades and my favourite college is in Cambridge (Homerton). Any advice on how seriously this rejection should be taken and any other tips will be greatly appreciated...
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected too and honestly, it has nothing to do with your chances in Oxbridge. The rejection could be because you’re from a background that’s seen as not needing UNIQ help. Medicine is a very competitive UNIQ course so don’t take it too badly. You could try the Sutton trust?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldilocks12)
    I got rejected too and honestly, it has nothing to do with your chances in Oxbridge. The rejection could be because you’re from a background that’s seen as not needing UNIQ help. Medicine is a very competitive UNIQ course so don’t take it too badly. You could try the Sutton trust?
    I completely agree. UNIQ is for people who would otherwise be less likely to apply to Oxbridge, particularly due to their background. Those who get into UNIQ have good grades and are deemed to be "disadvantaged" and would benefit from the course
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldilocks12)
    Hi,
    Yes I have applied to Sutton Trust too for medicine at Cambridge so my hopes are higher for that one as that is where I really want to go. Thank you so much for the advice too ahah I will definitely try not to think more about it.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=flabi;76352594]I completely agree. UNIQ is for people who would otherwise be less likely to apply to Oxbridge, particularly due to their background. Those who get into UNIQ have good grades and are deemed to be "disadvantaged" and would benefit from the course[/QU
    I guess you are right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineG)
    Hi,
    I just received a rejection email from Oxford. I did not get into the UNIQ summer residential for medicine. I applied with 7A*s which was the minimum requirement however, failed to secure my place. Although, Oxford claims that this will not affect my application as an undergraduate, I am genuinely swinging towards applying to Cambridge. Oxford has a higher focus on GCSE grades and my favourite college is in Cambridge (Homerton). Any advice on how seriously this rejection should be taken and any other tips will be greatly appreciated...
    xx
    It is totally true that Oxford is more GCSE focused than Cambridge when applying for Undergrad, but the rejection from UNIQ has little to do with that. They're more concerned with background than anything else - i.e, socio-economic progression in your area, your school, etc. This is so they advantage people who are usually DISadvantaged. Having 7A*s is absolutely incredible and something to be proud of. When applying for undergrad, with 7A*s for medicine, it would most certainly turn heads. I wouldn't take the rejection too hard. I know it genuinely seems harsh right now (I got accepted, then rejected the following day for the CUSU shadowing scheme in December, which was a kick in the teeth to say the least) but you won't feel quite so awful in a week or two.
    If you prefer Oxford, apply for Oxford. If you prefer Cambridge (your favourite college is Homerton, for instance) apply for Cambridge. Don't let this deter you in the least.
    At the end of the day, for undergrad, they don't care about your background. They care about whether you can and WILL do well with them. UNIQ is solely about GCSEs and background.

ReputationRep:
    I also got rejected from UNIQ Medicine but I'm aware that only 40 students were picked out of hundreds of applications from around the UK. Oxford has a really specific criteria for entering the UNIQ programme like how developed the area you live in is and its academic growth, etc. I've also applied for the Sutton Trust Summer School for Medicine at Cambridge but that too also has a strict criteria offering 32 places.

According to this Medicine masterclass I went to at Girton College Cambridge (given by one of the admissions tutors for Medicine there), the minimum amount of A*s a student has that gets accepted for an interview for the course is 5. Cambridge also seems to care a lot about GCSE performance- even if they say they don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewinterstudent)
    It is totally true that Oxford is more GCSE focused than Cambridge when applying for Undergrad, but the rejection from UNIQ has little to do with that. They're more concerned with background than anything else - i.e, socio-economic progression in your area, your school, etc. This is so they advantage people who are usually DISadvantaged. Having 7A*s is absolutely incredible and something to be proud of. When applying for undergrad, with 7A*s for medicine, it would most certainly turn heads. I wouldn't take the rejection too hard. I know it genuinely seems harsh right now (I got accepted, then rejected the following day for the CUSU shadowing scheme in December, which was a kick in the teeth to say the least) but you won't feel quite so awful in a week or two.
    If you prefer Oxford, apply for Oxford. If you prefer Cambridge (your favourite college is Homerton, for instance) apply for Cambridge. Don't let this deter you in the least.
    At the end of the day, for undergrad, they don't care about your background. They care about whether you can and WILL do well with them. UNIQ is solely about GCSEs and background.
    OMG i applied for CUSU got accepted then rejected the next day too I sent them a very angry email about that. Thank you so much for this valuable advice I really appreciate it. I just needed a reminded as to what i CAN do because I just got A*AA in my year 12 mocks (aiming for A*A*A by the end ) and was having a very good day indeed until I received that email and then I began to compare myself to my friend who got in Now it is time to get back into focus and continue with revision ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineG)
    OMG i applied for CUSU got accepted then rejected the next day too I sent them a very angry email about that. Thank you so much for this valuable advice I really appreciate it. I just needed a reminded as to what i CAN do because I just got A*AA in my year 12 mocks (aiming for A*A*A by the end ) and was having a very good day indeed until I received that email and then I began to compare myself to my friend who got in Now it is time to get back into focus and continue with revision ..
    I did the EXACT same! I only got an automated email back. I really was upset. It was a huge disappointment as it was such a false hope... it almost ruined my holiday tbh. I wasn't annoyed about the rejection, only the false hope that came before it. Fortunately I've applied for the residential at Cambridge and hope to hear back soon.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=thewinterstudent;76354060]I did the EXACT same! I only got an automated email back. I really was upset. It was a huge disappointment as it was such a false hope... it almost ruined my holiday tbh. I wasn't annoyed about the rejection, only the false hope that came before it. Fortunately I've applied for the residential at Cambridge and hope to hear back soon.[/QUOTE
    YESSSS it really did ruin my mood. I even sent them an email back about that because it is just so unacceptable. OH is the residential the Sutton trust summer school?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=MedicineG;76363510]
    (Original post by thewinterstudent)
    I did the EXACT same! I only got an automated email back. I really was upset. It was a huge disappointment as it was such a false hope... it almost ruined my holiday tbh. I wasn't annoyed about the rejection, only the false hope that came before it. Fortunately I've applied for the residential at Cambridge and hope to hear back soon.[/QUOTE
    YESSSS it really did ruin my mood. I even sent them an email back about that because it is just so unacceptable. OH is the residential the Sutton trust summer school?
    It was such a disappointment tbh. Massively unprofessional with absolutely no sincere apology. Sigh. And, no, not the Sutton Trust one - I applied for Durham, for that. This for a Women in Maths residential. However, I don't think I got in. I know several people who got accepted last night, and I still haven't had an email Not meant to be, then?

ReputationRep:
    The most interesting part of this post is that your favourite college is homerton

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.