The Student Room Group

Dealing with rumours?

So, I have a bit of a dilemma.

I share a group of friends with a girl I thought was my best friend.
Same one I posted about ages ago, probably should have explained more to the story.
SO I have been seeing a guy from the same group. It's only been a month, but she's telling everyone it's been 5 and I've been abandoning her for him (which I actually haven't - I see him on a weekday and her on weekends) and she said I was just his rebound.

At the start of January, we were all at a party. People were drinking, etc, said friend sexually assaulted me.
Now - given I've experienced it in the past, I had a massive panic attack. She knew what she did and others seen it. I didn't want to go home with her, and pretty much cut contact. She had my stuff, so I asked to meet up to get it and she wanted to talk out whatever was going on (despite knowing).

So we meet up. She keeps me waiting 40 minutes to where she said to meet, said I never turned up because she was in a different coffee shop to the one she said she would be in.
She then told me I had 4 weeks to tell her about the assault - which I did that day and night - and said she has no control over what people think of me, despite her spreading the rumours.

Now, nearly all the friends in our friend group have blocked me/unfriended me instead of asking my side of things.

I already struggle with personality disorder, the fear of losing people is real so when this all happened, I just keep breaking down. I can't even explain my side of the story because everyone blocked me as soon as.

Anyone else been in similar?
I know they aren't real friends if they jump to the first story they are told, but I wish they had at least asked, as I struggle to make friends.
Reply 1
clearly they're not real friends forgot about them and make new friends and why would she do this to you and u should report that assault
wait who assaulted u?
(edited 6 years ago)
If they were so quick to leave you and not even ask your side of things they are clearly not the right friends for you . If they were truly your friends they would have asked you about your side of the story and then decided from there . People like that are better off out of your life than in it because they’ll only keep upsetting you and letting you down which in the long run will only hurt you and make you upset and angry at the world . I can’t say that something similar happened to me but I know what it’s like to not have friends , it’s hard to start off with . I just kept think about the friends I used to have and I just couldn’t get over it , I would get upset every time I thought about them or saw them hanging out . It’s got easier as time went on though I realised that I didn’t need them , I could function perfectly fine without them I just had to do my own thing and take care of myself . I eventually managed to make more friends and it took me a while to properly trust them but I did in the end . Just know that life goes on and it’s not the end of the world . It may seem hard to believe right now but it’ll get better .
Original post by sam717
clearly they're not real friends forgot about them and make new friends and why would she do this to you and u should report that assault
wait who assaulted u?

It's hard for me to make friends. This was the first group I actually could trust.
The friend (ex best friend) did.
I don't want to report it, I know that is an option but having gone through court for childhood stuff, it's incredibly stressful.

Quick Reply