Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am choosing my options next week and I don't know whether to do Geography or History? Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheskylaine)
    I am choosing my options next week and I don't know whether to do Geography or History? Any advice?
    Honestly just go for which one you enjoy more and/or are better at (or even choose both if you want to and your school allows it).

The subject choice at GCSE has very little ramifications for any later applications. If you want to consider doing either of these for a-level though, you should take them at GCSE so you can make an informed choice at a-level.

ReputationRep:
    Whichever you find more interesting or enjoyable. History is more essay based, whereas in geography they're generally looking for more specific answers. If you're a mathsy person I'd recommend geography, if you're an Englishy person I'd recommend history
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Geography is a little more 'sciencey' whereas I would say that History is a pure humanity. Choose which ever is your favorite!

ReputationRep:
    Geography all the way

ReputationRep:
    Well personally I do both, so really.. you can pick whatever you prefer more, and if you like both well then just pick both, if your school allows it that is
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I chose and got both

ReputationRep:
    I chose Geography because I only liked one topic from the History course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurlll)
    Geography all the way
    Okay thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy264)
    Honestly just go for which one you enjoy more and/or are better at (or even choose both if you want to and your school allows it).

The subject choice at GCSE has very little ramifications for any later applications. If you want to consider doing either of these for a-level though, you should take them at GCSE so you can make an informed choice at a-level.
    Okay thank you !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flabi)
    Whichever you find more interesting or enjoyable. History is more essay based, whereas in geography they're generally looking for more specific answers. If you're a mathsy person I'd recommend geography, if you're an Englishy person I'd recommend history
    Okay thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloud_watcher)
    Geography is a little more 'sciencey' whereas I would say that History is a pure humanity. Choose which ever is your favorite!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skittyy)
    Well personally I do both, so really.. you can pick whatever you prefer more, and if you like both well then just pick both, if your school allows it that is
    Alright, thank you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillPhillips)
    I chose and got both
    Alright, thanks

ReputationRep:
    go for the one you most enjoy and are good at, personally, I would pick Geography, sadly I can't cause I don't have enough choices but the curriculum for our Geog GCSE looks good (with our board, I'm not sure what curriculum u have) also look at the curriculum and if you don't like it, don't take it.

ReputationRep:
    I do both, personally prefer history as it is alot more interesting. Geography is easy, but its boring and history is difficult but very interesting. Both are equally respected so do whichever one you prefer
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.