The Student Room Group

Crashing Music?

Hi,
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to crash music at N5, potentially Higher. I can play piano at an okay level (probably around grade 4) but that's it.
Now I'm going into S6 and I seriously regret not taking music, but I'm worried that my theory wouldn't be great and I don't really know what other instrument to take. I could maybe sing I guess??
So does anyone think this is a good/bad idea or have any suggestions on what other instrument to take up?
cheerss
Original post by Door76
Hi,
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to crash music at N5, potentially Higher. I can play piano at an okay level (probably around grade 4) but that's it.
Now I'm going into S6 and I seriously regret not taking music, but I'm worried that my theory wouldn't be great and I don't really know what other instrument to take. I could maybe sing I guess??
So does anyone think this is a good/bad idea or have any suggestions on what other instrument to take up?
cheerss

Crash n5 will be okay, but you might struggle to do crash higher. There's a lot of concepts which are taught at n5 that you will need for higher. You also need to be able to play 2 instruments at a either a grade 4 or 5 level (I can't remember which). I don't think it would impossible, though, as long as you put the work in. As for your other instrument you could do xylophone. It's fairly easy especially if you know how to play the piano.
I was in an N5 class all of S4 but learnt the Higher listening course in under 2 months with two guys from my year and we all got As (mine was band 2 if it matters) so honestly, you will do well in N5. My trombone practical was pretty good, my keyboard was a bit meh but I only started it in S4 so you should really be ok. Feel free to message me if you need any more info/advice :smile:
There are lots of people crashing higher in my music class and coping pretty well. If you can play piano at grade 4 you're really sorted for higher. You just need another instrument - voice or tuned percussion or even keyboard are usually the easiest.
As for theory/concepts, it really depends how much effort you want to put in, maybe over the summer you could learn all the N4/N5 concepts and you'd be in good standing for Higher. In my class, we have a mix of N5/H/AH so the Highers crashing could learn the N5 theory and Higher theory, don't know if this would be an option for you.
Higher Music is only difficult if you make it difficult for yourself, and as it's mostly performing, it'd be a waste if you're good at piano just to do N5 but you always have that option if you find Higher too hard.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice everyone ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending