Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys do you think it is worth to spend additional year at uni to do placement year? Does it really help you or gives you any benefits?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gaab123)
    Guys do you think it is worth to spend additional year at uni to do placement year? Does it really help you or gives you any benefits?
    Certainly, the experience you gain is highly valuable. Of course, you can also gain experience via summer placements.

ReputationRep:
    I know of a lot of people that have done a placement year and then been pffered a job for wheb they finish their degree - it’s who you know in this world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Certainly, the experience you gain is highly valuable. Of course, you can also gain experience via summer placements.
    thanks for the reply
    Do know if they pay you, or it is totally free?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gaab123)
    thanks for the reply
    Do know if they pay you, or it is totally free?
    All the ones I've seen advertised are paid, typically between £12,000 and £20,000 per year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potato456)
    I know of a lot of people that have done a placement year and then been pffered a job for wheb they finish their degree - it’s who you know in this world!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I just applied to uni for CS with a year in the industry so I'm not that well informed on this topic, but I do think It's remarkably valuable to have those experiences and possibly form links with people In the industry and maybe got a job from that company shortly after graduation. There's also summer, but my personal advice would be to use that opportunity to mostly recharge from the stress (This doesn't mean don't work, but reducing the intensity of how much you do) that will ultimately come when being at university and maybe even focus on other interests you have. That's my preference, but weigh what's important to you and It should be easier to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    All the ones I've seen advertised are paid, typically between £12,000 and £20,000 per year.
    do you have to pay any uni fees to do it during the year? also do you think its more/less useful than doing a year-long apprenticeship before the degree?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by yusyus)
    do you have to pay any uni fees to do it during the year? also do you think its more/less useful than doing a year-long apprenticeship before the degree?
    You pay a substantially reduced fee to the university during the placement year.

You won't be able to do a year long apprenticeship before the degree because apprenticeships take several years to complete. You could do a year in industry before the degree through YINI, though.

http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry

It probably won't make much difference, although doing it as part of the degree may enable you to get involved with more technical work during the placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    You pay a substantially reduced fee to the university during the placement year.

You won't be able to do a year long apprenticeship before the degree because apprenticeships take several years to complete. You could do a year in industry before the degree through YINI, though.

http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry

It probably won't make much difference, although doing it as part of the degree may enable you to get involved with more technical work during the placement.
    yeh that's what I meant, sorry to keep asking questions but how much is the reduced fee? ~1k or less or more?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    yeh that's what I meant, sorry to keep asking questions but how much is the reduced fee? ~1k or less or more?
    You'd have to check with the university.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Varies but usually about £2k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.