The Student Room Group

degree with a placement year- worth?

Guys do you think it is worth to spend additional year at uni to do placement year? Does it really help you or gives you any benefits?
Original post by gaab123
Guys do you think it is worth to spend additional year at uni to do placement year? Does it really help you or gives you any benefits?

Certainly, the experience you gain is highly valuable. Of course, you can also gain experience via summer placements.
I know of a lot of people that have done a placement year and then been pffered a job for wheb they finish their degree - it’s who you know in this world!
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
Certainly, the experience you gain is highly valuable. Of course, you can also gain experience via summer placements.

thanks for the reply :wink:
Do know if they pay you, or it is totally free?
Original post by gaab123
thanks for the reply :wink:
Do know if they pay you, or it is totally free?

All the ones I've seen advertised are paid, typically between £12,000 and £20,000 per year.
Reply 5
Original post by Potato456
I know of a lot of people that have done a placement year and then been pffered a job for wheb they finish their degree - it’s who you know in this world!

I just applied to uni for CS with a year in the industry so I'm not that well informed on this topic, but I do think It's remarkably valuable to have those experiences and possibly form links with people In the industry and maybe got a job from that company shortly after graduation. There's also summer, but my personal advice would be to use that opportunity to mostly recharge from the stress (This doesn't mean don't work, but reducing the intensity of how much you do) that will ultimately come when being at university and maybe even focus on other interests you have. That's my preference, but weigh what's important to you and It should be easier to choose.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
All the ones I've seen advertised are paid, typically between £12,000 and £20,000 per year.

do you have to pay any uni fees to do it during the year? also do you think its more/less useful than doing a year-long apprenticeship before the degree?
Original post by yusyus
do you have to pay any uni fees to do it during the year? also do you think its more/less useful than doing a year-long apprenticeship before the degree?

You pay a substantially reduced fee to the university during the placement year.

You won't be able to do a year long apprenticeship before the degree because apprenticeships take several years to complete. You could do a year in industry before the degree through YINI, though.

http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry

It probably won't make much difference, although doing it as part of the degree may enable you to get involved with more technical work during the placement.
Reply 9
Original post by Smack
You pay a substantially reduced fee to the university during the placement year.

You won't be able to do a year long apprenticeship before the degree because apprenticeships take several years to complete. You could do a year in industry before the degree through YINI, though.

http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry

It probably won't make much difference, although doing it as part of the degree may enable you to get involved with more technical work during the placement.

yeh that's what I meant, sorry to keep asking questions but how much is the reduced fee? ~1k or less or more?
Original post by yusyus
yeh that's what I meant, sorry to keep asking questions but how much is the reduced fee? ~1k or less or more?

You'd have to check with the university.
Reply 11
Original post by yusyus

Varies but usually about £2k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending