Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Predental courses watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I did history, textile and drama at A level and got EEC in my exams. I know that they're not the best grades but hey, a pass is a pass? (right?) And i'm currently doing a diploma in dental nursing, with this qualification and an additional a level in biology do you think Universities would accept that for me to study dentistry? With a preliminary year beforehand? I've looked at all the uni's that offer these courses but none shed any light on NEBDN qualifications just the generic A levels and BTEC. Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by katieb1999)
    Hi! I did history, textile and drama at A level and got EEC in my exams. I know that they're not the best grades but hey, a pass is a pass? (right?) And i'm currently doing a diploma in dental nursing, with this qualification and an additional a level in biology do you think Universities would accept that for me to study dentistry? With a preliminary year beforehand? I've looked at all the uni's that offer these courses but none shed any light on NEBDN qualifications just the generic A levels and BTEC. Thanks!
    Email and ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieb1999)
    NEBDN diploma will strengthen your application as you have the relevant work experience but it is no substitute for the academic entry requirements. UCAS don’t even have it as an option and you have to list it as an extra qualification.

To get onto a dentistry course you either need to get AAA in biology, chemistry and one other subject after 2 years of study as well as already having really good GCSEs including science and maths or you could try contacting admissions departments and see if they can help. A couple of dental schools accept access courses or run foundation years but they are also competitive and have specific entry requirements.

Have you considered dental hygiene and therapy? They still want A levels but don’t have quite such high academic requirements as dentistry. This may be more accessible to you especially once you have some dental nursing experience and biology a level (which would need to be a high grade).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.