The Student Room Group

Exeter vs Leeds Modern Languages

Hi, I've applied to do Spanish and Italian (from scratch). I'm stuck between Leeds and Exeter with regards to which one I will prefer! I would really appreciate any opinions/advice about which to choose regarding course / student life / city life / things to do / nightlife etc!
Original post by katiespragg
Hi, I've applied to do Spanish and Italian (from scratch). I'm stuck between Leeds and Exeter with regards to which one I will prefer! I would really appreciate any opinions/advice about which to choose regarding course / student life / city life / things to do / nightlife etc!

How do the courses compare?
While perspectives vary depending where you come from, most people while I was there thought Exeter was a bit quiet in terms of nightlife - those who were from London especially seemed to loathe the nature of the countryside city-town that Exeter embodies. If you can't deal with everything closing at 5-6pm (hard 4pm or earlier normally on Sunday) you may dislike it.

As above though, you are going there to study for a degree so this should be the primary metric you're assessing. In this vein, there is a fair amount you can find on here - I am personally of the opinion (having studied engineering for there for a while) that it's grossly overrated, but the people I knew in the languages department seemed at worst ambivalent, and in general the humanities departments are the stronger ones at Exe (for STEM courses, Physics is the only real standout, although the new-ish medical sciences course seems to have brought up their overall bisociences portfolio of courses and possibly NatSci along with it...I digress though). I might note, although I've never been there, Leeds seems to have a much greater than usual variety in languages available to study, which may reflect a strength in languages on the whole, and may be worth considering in your assessment.

You might also be very interested in the potential year abroad destinations that they have pre-established links with, as a languages student - this is probably the highlight of most language courses so definitely worth looking into.
Original post by artful_lounger

You might also be very interested in the potential year abroad destinations that they have pre-established links with, as a languages student - this is probably the highlight of most language courses so definitely worth looking into.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? It can actually be quite stressful, knowing that most of your friendship group have already graduated, and that you'll be returning for a relatively quiet fourth year. I'd place far higher priority on the respective universities' cultures for Years 1,2 & 4, as both Exeter and Leeds will have solid international links.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending