Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is the Queen a very important person for the British people? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is the figure of the Queen still today an important person for British people?

Thanks
    WiSi.

ReputationRep:
    some people are against even having people as queen but the royal family is a massive tourist attraction to the UK and that helps boost our economy. also she's very important law wise as shes the only person that can pass official laws and appoint new priministers or some other important figure
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    For some she is a symbol of what it means to be British; others couldn't give a flying monkeys about the royal family

ReputationRep:
    For tourists: yes
    For British people: no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charliepow)
    some people are against even having people as queen but the royal family is a massive tourist attraction to the UK and that helps boost our economy. also she's very important law wise as shes the only person that can pass official laws and appoint new priministers or some other important figure
    She still have political power?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    She still have political power?
    She has certain powers but realistically she can use them, and she isn't involved in politics.

ReputationRep:
    I've done shites that were more important to me than the Queen is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Is the figure of the Queen still today an important person for British people?

Thanks
    WiSi.
    She is to Phillip and he's British.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Honestly not really, I don't particularly think see the Queen or any member of the royal family as important. They probably do a lot of important things behind the scenes but if they were suddenly gone I don't think very many people would actually care.

ReputationRep:
    She's there as a figurehead

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    yes.

Not as a political leader no, but as a cultural symbol - yes.

There is really no downside to the royal family currently. They earn us far more money then they cost.. they are brilliant for international relations/soft-influence.. and they are a good source of patriotism for the country as a whole.

Whats the downside?

ReputationRep:
    Not important to me. But important to the economy and tourism.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This sounds like homework, but beside that, it depends a lot. I think on the whole most people view her like Americans view the Statue of Liberty (or the US flag) - they're glad she's there but they don't need to see her all the time. Of course some are stark raving made about the royal family and the queen (as with the US and the flag/other patriotic symbolism) but this is less common on the whole (and less extreme than the US example anyway). Ultimately she is just a figurehead and so something of an empty symbol even for those that care about royal affairs.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Perhaps importance is better measured if there were a real existential threat to the UK. The Queen is a potent symbol of national identity and continuity, the loss of which will prompt a lament greater than that of Diana or of any monarch since Victoria.

Young people think meh. Those over a certain age understand the role of the monarchy and the vital service they play in providing a focus for stoicism in the face of grave adversity.

We are living in very changeable and troubling times. The Queen is a focus for the governments of not just GB but also overseas dependant territories. A mother figure able to take Prime Ministers to task. She is recognised and highly respected worldwide and the most powerful leaders all want an invite to the palace. It's seen globally as a mark of honour.

Adversaries always denigrate the monarchy because they realise that doing so, is a symbolic attack on the UK as a nation and strikes at liberty, democracy and collective identity.

So yes, she is important. Very important.

ReputationRep:
    In order to obtain the citizenship, I heard you have to swear fidelity to hear, is it true?

ReputationRep:
    You should make a poll

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.