Turn on thread page Beta

Train tickets.. this doesn’t add up? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I’m looking at train tickets for open day at Exeter on the 14th of March, for an advanced return from Reading to Exeter its £48.20 (these are at pretty awkward times, if you miss one train the ticket is no longer valid, also you can’t break your journey along the way so zero flexibility), for an open return its £65.65.

Bristol is a stop on the way, and if i got an open return from Reading to Bristol its £31.60, and an open return from Bristol to Exeter is £19.55 giving me a total of £51.15 for an open return, thats £14.50 cheaper than buying a single open return and only £3 extra than an advanced return (for the flexibility its worth it)! It also means I have 1 month to return rather than having to follow a strict date/time, which is really useful for anyone at uni going home to visit.

Why are train tickets priced like this?… it makes you wonder how much you could be saving with little tricks like this. All I’ve done is break my journey into 2 parts, I dont even need to change trains or anything. I could probably save even more if i calculated the timings and got an advanced return from Reading to Bristol and then Bristol to Exeter using matching times so its for the same train.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just the way it is. Are those prices with a rail card?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Just the way it is. Are those prices with a rail card?
    Hmm… a nice little trick, glad I found it. Someone should make a website which searches and computes ways to make such savings. And yep, i probably should’ve mentioned that, sorry!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.