Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to the best uni which may explain it, but does anyone else have coursemates who just dont give a toss? Like I'm not an amazing student, I'm not doing super well nor am I super studious but at least I have a little respect.

I feel a lot of my peers act as if we're simply paying for our grades and if anything goes wrong, its our lecturers fault. People today kicked up a right fuss about our lecture not being cancelled because of the snow, just really rude.

I study Biology and very few people actually care about the subject, I know not everyone wants to become a researcher but why pick a course if you don't care.

Like these people don't get me wrong, do their work, do a bit of work for revision but they seem to only care about passing the degree or getting a certain grade, not about the subject. Are attitudes better at the higher ranking unis?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have the same experience. There's people I'm friends with who regularly don't go to lectures because they're too tired or whatever, but that's because they can't be bothered to sort out their sleeping schedule. I just don't get why you'd waste all this money just to give so few f*cks about it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I don't go to the best uni which may explain it, but does anyone else have coursemates who just dont give a toss? Like I'm not an amazing student, I'm not doing super well nor am I super studious but at least I have a little respect.

I feel a lot of my peers act as if we're simply paying for our grades and if anything goes wrong, its our lecturers fault. People today kicked up a right fuss about our lecture not being cancelled because of the snow, just really rude.

I study Biology and very few people actually care about the subject, I know not everyone wants to become a researcher but why pick a course if you don't care.

Like these people don't get me wrong, do their work, do a bit of work for revision but they seem to only care about passing the degree or getting a certain grade, not about the subject. Are attitudes better at the higher ranking unis?
    I haven't witnessed this type of attitude with CompSci. If anything, people seem to be scarily over-obsessed with the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I have the same experience. There's people I'm friends with who regularly don't go to lectures because they're too tired or whatever, but that's because they can't be bothered to sort out their sleeping schedule. I just don't get why you'd waste all this money just to give so few f*cks about it.
    Yeah I'm not the best but at least I turn up and pay attention, just so much apathy around though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I haven't witnessed this type of attitude with CompSci. If anything, people seem to be scarily over-obsessed with the subject.
    Yeah I have to say with my subjects like that and engineering, everyone I've seen has been really into it.

ReputationRep:

I studied at Cambridge and it was very different - people really cared and wanted to achieve/went beyond the bare minimum for tutorials etc... but I suppose I may have been lucky with my college peers, I can't comment on everyone that studied on the course!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by DrXavier)
    I studied at Cambridge and it was very different - people really cared and wanted to achieve/went beyond the bare minimum for tutorials etc... but I suppose I may have been lucky with my college peers, I can't comment on everyone that studied on the course!
    Given the intense application process candidates need to go through to get into Cambridge, I'd be bloody surprised if people weren't passionate about the subject they're reading!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have to say with my subjects like that and engineering, everyone I've seen has been really into it.
    I did engineering myself and I can confirm a lot of students didn't care either. First year first term a lot attended classes after that they just dropped like flies pretty quickly.

By my third year you had like 5-7 people out of 100 and something in a lecture hall (and I'm not exaggerating either :rofl: )

ReputationRep:

University of Liverpool, mine are exactly the same

ReputationRep:
    hm that's odd , if i'm paying 9K+ a year for my degree i wanna make sure i get my money worth

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.