Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I have been with my boyfriend for 3 1/2 years, we met whilst I was working part-time at McDonald’s during college. I will be qualifying from university next year as a registered nurse and we have plans to get a home together and start a family, however, my boyfriends lack of motivation to better his job is getting in the way. He has always said that he won’t be working at McDonald’s forever, however, he is miserable in his job, earning minimum wage and not doing anything to actively change it. I have suggested applying to other jobs yet he always thinks of an excuse why the job is not suited to him. We will not be able to afford to move out together on his current wages, yet he is reluctant to progress further at McDonald’s either. I love him dearly and he treats me perfectly otherwise, but at the moment I feel like I’m stuck with an unmotivated loser and it’s putting a rift between us.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sit him down and tell him that. If he doesn't change jobs, he will never be able to have the life he wants. See if that makes him realise he needs to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anongirl12345)
    Okay so I have been with my boyfriend for 3 1/2 years, we met whilst I was working part-time at McDonald’s during college. I will be qualifying from university next year as a registered nurse and we have plans to get a home together and start a family, however, my boyfriends lack of motivation to better his job is getting in the way. He has always said that he won’t be working at McDonald’s forever, however, he is miserable in his job, earning minimum wage and not doing anything to actively change it. I have suggested applying to other jobs yet he always thinks of an excuse why the job is not suited to him. We will not be able to afford to move out together on his current wages, yet he is reluctant to progress further at McDonald’s either. I love him dearly and he treats me perfectly otherwise, but at the moment I feel like I’m stuck with an unmotivated loser and it’s putting a rift between us.
    I think I understand where you are coming from, I am a highly driven guy and have been with girls who aren't very ambitious and it causes a lot of tension. It just isn't pleasant to feel you are being held back by someone's lack of ambition!

ReputationRep:
    All you can do is be honest about how much of an issue it is and decide how long you're prepared tow ait.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.