Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How important is it to meet all the essential criteria set out in a job ad.
    I have one job of interest, there are 11 essential criteria I meet 10 of them. The one I dont meet is "At least 1 year experience in a NHS laboratory". I havent't worked in the NHS before but have 5 years experience in a private lab of the same type.

As its the NHS the filtering process is pretty harsh, should I both at all with applying. Its a job that I know I can do, but if I dont tick the meet all criteria box I am not allowed to proceed on the online application.

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Negotiator)
    How important is it to meet all the essential criteria set out in a job ad.
    I have one job of interest, there are 11 essential criteria I meet 10 of them. The one I dont meet is "At least 1 year experience in a NHS laboratory". I havent't worked in the NHS before but have 5 years experience in a private lab of the same type.

As its the NHS the filtering process is pretty harsh, should I both at all with applying. Its a job that I know I can do, but if I dont tick the meet all criteria box I am not allowed to proceed on the online application.

Thanks
    Ring them up beforehand to confirm its acceptable and you arent filtered out.

ReputationRep:
    You should be ok honestly, isnt the NHS rather desperate for well, qualified people... unless you were doing secret experiments in cambodia on children.. 5 years of applicable work experience should get you looked at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Ring them up beforehand to confirm its acceptable and you arent filtered out.
    Yes definitely do this. From what you have said you should have no problems being shortlisted; hearing it from a hiring manager though is of course always much better than any answer I can give on here. Your experience is much more than what they are asking for even if it was not within an NHS laboratory.

Do you also cover alot of the desirable criteria aswell? If you do, again, that should put you in with a great chance of an interview. With that said I think I have heard that the NHS is rather difficult for applicants trying to work with them the first time. I have found their shortlisting criteria to be incredibly detailed at times, but then it can depend on what hospital/trust you apply to.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Negotiator)
    The usual benchmarks are - apply if you've got 60% of the essential criteria for very niche or less competitive jobs where there won't be lots of applicants, and 80% if it's going to be really popular with lots of people having those skills.

The length of time criterion is likely to be much less significant than specific lab techniques etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.