Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For an object falling, what would the relationship of the graph look for when height is on the y axis and velocity squared is on the x axis?

I thought v^2 = s so would it be a straight line through origin? Even thought the axis are swapped??

How is height the independent variable if its on the y axis??

ReputationRep:
    I think your reasoning is right based on v² = (u²) + 2as but the graph will depend on whether the y axis is height above ground or height fallen.
    In the first case, it will start at a max and decrease as V increased - but watch for the labelling of the x axis as well because if downwards is negative, the velocity is increasing in the negative direction.

In the second it will be as you describe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phys981)
    I think your reasoning is right based on v² = (u²) + 2as but the graph will depend on whether the y axis is height above ground or height fallen.
    In the first case, it will start at a max and decrease as V increased - but watch for the labelling of the x axis as well because if downwards is negative, the velocity is increasing in the negative direction.

Many thanks for the replies

Also can you help me with his question? Basically couldd you say this is DECELERATING downwards swell as accelerating upwards??
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    All I can see from that is that there is a resultant force upwards so the acceleration is upwards.

The object might be moving upwards and accelerating or it might be moving downwards and decelerating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phys981)

Isn't it the same thing?? Height dropped and height fallen from above the ground

ReputationRep:
    Not really, if you drop it from 6m say, it starts at 6m above the ground and speed zero, then falls to 0m above the ground

If you're doing height fallen, it starts at 0m fallen, speed zero, and falls to 6m fallen (or -6 depending on notation) as it hits the ground.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 1, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.