Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been having doubts about my course of choice, for which I have an offer, namely Maths and Computer Science through the NatSci route. I definitely want to study at Durham, and I've always been keen on doing some maths alongside my main interest, computer science, but I worry that, with the way the modules & credits are structured, I'd become a half-trained mathematician and half-trained computer scientist, missing out significant chunks of each field. So many interesting maths modules in year 3/4 are locked behind lots of year 1/2 analysis, and it looks like I'd have to take so many credits of various analysis modules that I'd miss out on some crucial-sounding compsci and other fun-looking maths modules. Otherwise, I can minimise my maths modules and eschew analysis, thus being constrained to a bit of calculus, a bit of algebra and some stats & decision, which sounds quite bare. I'm wondering whether it would be best to just ask to transfer to MEng CompSci as soon as the year starts, and, if they allow it, pursue some mathematics, specifically only the parts that are relevant to what I do in CS and interesting to me, as a side activity?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.