Turn on thread page Beta

I think my friend may have an eating disorder watch

Hey TSR.
    Recently, I've been noticing some things about my friend from school. To give you some context, my friend is sporty and has a strong figure, but she's a bit wham (so like not fat, but of a naturally larger figure; big boned, if you will, easily mistaken for fat despite her not being as such).

A month or two ago, she told me she's going vegan. I thought nothing of this of the time. After all, many people these days are going vegan, right?
    I then started to notice other things. Her face became a bit thinner over a few weeks. She naturally has a bit of baby fat on her face, so her losing this in a short period of time confused me. I just disregarded it, thinking that maybe she has makeup on and had contoured it down or something.

She went out to eat with some friends recently, and they hadn't eaten in a while I guess, seeing as her friends all ordered large pizzas, drinks, sides etc. and when I say she ordered the TINIEST excuse for a pizza and nothing else, not even a drink because "I'm not hungry" or whatever...

She also only eats like half a sandwich with pesto in for lunch. For what it's worth, she also tends to wear very baggy clothes (culottes for example).

Idk how to relay my concerns to her. We're not that close, so I fear that saying this may come off as more obtrusive than concerned

So, TSR, please give me some advice/opinions, as I must admit that I'm beginning to worry for her. Am I overthinking this, or should I do something to help her? And if so, what should I do?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey TSR.
    Recently, I've been noticing some things about my friend from school. To give you some context, my friend is sporty and has a strong figure, but she's a bit wham (so like not fat, but of a naturally larger figure; big boned, if you will, easily mistaken for fat despite her not being as such).

A month or two ago, she told me she's going vegan. I thought nothing of this of the time. After all, many people these days are going vegan, right?
    I then started to notice other things. Her face became a bit thinner over a few weeks. She naturally has a bit of baby fat on her face, so her losing this in a short period of time confused me. I just disregarded it, thinking that maybe she has makeup on and had contoured it down or something.

She went out to eat with some friends recently, and they hadn't eaten in a while I guess, seeing as her friends all ordered large pizzas, drinks, sides etc. and when I say she ordered the TINIEST excuse for a pizza and nothing else, not even a drink because "I'm not hungry" or whatever...

She also only eats like half a sandwich with pesto in for lunch. For what it's worth, she also tends to wear very baggy clothes (culottes for example).

Idk how to relay my concerns to her. We're not that close, so I fear that saying this may come off as more obtrusive than concerned

So, TSR, please give me some advice/opinions, as I must admit that I'm beginning to worry for her. Am I overthinking this, or should I do something to help her? And if so, what should I do?

Thanks.
    I am no expert in eating disorders or anything, but I would recommend talking to someone who you trust to relay your concerns - maybe a teacher - this way you will have less of a burden on your shoulders.
    If you continue to notice thinning etc, I would speak to her but instead of confronting her and saying 'I think you have an eating disorder' try asking questions first to gauge if their could be any other possible reasons for this weight loss - such as stress.
    Hope this helps xx

ReputationRep:
    I think the way you handle this has to be really careful. Because there's the possibility that it could be nothing and everythimg could be fine, but there's also the possibility that she's in need of help and going about it the wrong way could have some bad results.
    Personally, I would invite her out to lunch. Take her to a place that you know does vegan options, it might be that when all her friends were ordering pizza there weren't many options for her and that's why she didn't each so much. But have lunch with her so that the topic of the lifestyle comes up naturally. Try and open up a conversation about it and any changes she's noticed in herself since she changed over to it, maybe mention to her you've noticed she's lost a lot of weight recently, but that you don't think she needs to. If she closes down the conversation and doesn't want to talk about it, it might be a sign that she doesn't want to admit to having a problem. How defensive she is about it will probably tell you all you need to know, but makes sure you don't push it to a place where she isn't comfortable talking about it.

But doing this will give her the opportunity to open up to you and talk to you about it herself if she wants to, in a way that isn't confrontational. In the meantime, if this gets worse and continues to worry you, talk to a counseller at school who you can trust, and they'll be able to give you some more personal options about how you can be supportive. Hope this helps, best of luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.