Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I've received offers from these programs:

- LSE : Management and Strategy
    - Imperial College : Economics and Strategy for Business
    - HEC : MiM (2 years in France)

I would like to work in a top consulting firms (MBB).
    It is pretty hard for me to understand these programs reputation as I am a foreign student coming from France. HEC is very well known in France but I think it might be a good idea to have an international experience. Also social relations (parties etc...) are very important for me, so I would like to take it into account

What would you choose given my career goal ?

Thank you all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighlightReel)
    Hello guys,

I've received offers from these programs:

- LSE : Management and Strategy
    - Imperial College : Economics and Strategy for Business
    - HEC : MiM (2 years in France)

I would like to work in a top consulting firms (MBB).
    It is pretty hard for me to understand these programs reputation as I am a foreign student coming from France. HEC is very well known in France but I think it might be a good idea to have an international experience. Also social relations (parties etc...) are very important for me, so I would like to take it into account

What would you choose given my career goal ?

Thank you all
    HEC wont be as respected as the other two, its a distant third unless you plan on working in france,

So deciding which brand you want to put on your CV depends on you,

Personally i would pick Imperial because that just sounds fancy as a degree title... economics always is more complex and respected then management.

However that is not scientific advice LSE and imperial are about equal tbf.

its sort of like cambridge or oxford, people have. trong feelings about their fav but in all reality in the real world its literally the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    HEC wont be as respected as the other two, its a distant third unless you plan on working in france,

So deciding which brand you want to put on your CV depends on you,

Personally i would pick Imperial because that just sounds fancy as a degree title... economics always is more complex and respected then management.

However that is not scientific advice LSE and imperial are about equal tbf.

its sort of like cambridge or oxford, people have. trong feelings about their fav but in all reality in the real world its literally the same.
    Thank you for your answer. Maybe I need to add one information : I come from a engineering degree. Is there a difference between the atmosphere at LSE and Imperial ? I would like to see a different atmosphere than the one I have encoutered during my engineering degree (with a lot of "nerds", unfortunately that is a cliché but true regarding my experience).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your answer. Maybe I need to add one information : I come from a engineering degree. Is there a difference between the atmosphere at LSE and Imperial ? I would like to see a different atmosphere than the one I have encoutered during my engineering degree (with a lot of "nerds", unfortunately that is a cliché but true regarding my experience).
    You likely will have alot of business alumni in an msc management program such as myself. We are nerds to an extent but maybe not as much as engineering. However you may not touch base with less nerds somewhere, because being surrounded by them could have made you one..
    however this is a shallow analysis and you will get a totally different more career motivated experience at masters i would think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    You likely will have alot of business alumni in an msc management program such as myself. We are nerds to an extent but maybe not as much as engineering. However you may not touch base with less nerds somewhere, because being surrounded by them could have made you one..
    however this is a shallow analysis and you will get a totally different more career motivated experience at masters i would think.
    I now my approach might sound shallow. However it is important to understand that the French education is very different from the UK. After high school we go to what is called "prépa" : it is a 2 year (or 3 year) very intensive course preparing for the best institute of education called "Grande Ecole". During theses 2 or 3 years, we have literaly no life whatsoever, people are working day and night to prepare the national competitive exams and to enter the best schools. Indeed after "prépa", the students are willing to party a lot and when I say a lot it is a big euphemism (they are a lot of excesses ...). HEC for instance is well known in France to have some of the best parties in the country.

Even if it is not my first priority, I clearly need to take this part into account after 2 years of living like a "monk" !

ReputationRep:
    I now my approach might sound shallow. However it is important to understand that the French education is very different from the UK. After high school we go to what is called "prépa" : it is a 2 year (or 3 year) very intensive course preparing for the best institute of education called "Grande Ecole". During theses 2 or 3 years, we have literaly no life whatsoever, people are working day and night to prepare the national competitive exams and to enter the best schools. Indeed after "prépa", the students are willing to party a lot and when I say a lot it is a big euphemism (they are a lot of excesses ...). HEC for instance is well known in France to have some of the best parties in the country.

Even if it is not my first priority, I clearly need to take this part into account after 2 years of living like a "monk" !
    One year of living in London with some of the best clubs in the world, Ministry of Sound, Fabric, The egg... You cant honestly believe London is only full of nerds? But if you feel a need to join the high society (you suppose) at HeC be my guest... but the UK has some of the best social life with the elite from all over the world, not just france lol.

ReputationRep:
    I also got offer from LSE for MSC Management and Strategy program, finally chose LSE after comparing with Kings.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.