Turn on thread page Beta

ZERO work experience, want to work in the Film Business, 22 years old. How? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I will graduate uni with a 2:1 in Politics at Bath. I have absolutely no interest in pursuing a degree relevant to my degree. I'm 22 years old.

I actually want to work in the Film Business: the distribution, production, finance, development side of things, rather than the creative film industry (directing, acting etc). I'd be interested in working for Working Title Films studio one day .

My degree is largely irrelevant for this goal (beyond communication skills). I have absolutely ZERO work experience, of any kind really.

Where should I start? I expect after uni I will scramble to find the first paying job I can to keep afloat (cafes etc), and in the meantime start looking for relevant internships, education and experience.

Should I start Uni all over again, get another undergrad in business or marketing or film related, and a relevant masters, whilst working part time jobs? I don't know how to start gaining the experience.

I'm willing to work relentlessly at this, realise the effort and sacrifice it will take and the position I'm in, and have the patience. I have absolutely nothing to lose.

Does anyone have any advice? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks, R
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by RichardJones1)
    Hi there.

I will graduate uni with a 2:1 in Politics at Bath. I have absolutely no interest in pursuing a degree relevant to my degree. I'm 22 years old.

I actually want to work in the Film Business: the distribution, production, finance, development side of things, rather than the creative film industry (directing, acting etc). I'd be interested in working for Working Title Films studio one day .

My degree is largely irrelevant for this goal (beyond communication skills). I have absolutely ZERO work experience, of any kind really.

Where should I start? I expect after uni I will scramble to find the first paying job I can to keep afloat (cafes etc), and in the meantime start looking for relevant internships, education and experience.

Should I start Uni all over again, get another undergrad in business or marketing or film related, and a relevant masters, whilst working part time jobs? I don't know how to start gaining the experience.

I'm willing to work relentlessly at this, realise the effort and sacrifice it will take and the position I'm in, and have the patience. I have absolutely nothing to lose.

Does anyone have any advice? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks, R
    Hi! In this kind of situation, you need to start at the bottom. Try getting a bit of work experience in the field, even a job at a cinema. Get a feel for film and be around it as much as you can. Prove your interest is beyond 'I like films'. Learn some skills and create your own short films if you can, even if they're done on your phone. There are some local groups that get together to do this kind of thing, so see if there's anything around you. Learn about different techniques and disciplines and learn to critique the films you watch as well. Look into jobs as a runner. They're often short term and temporary jobs, but working with different people in different environments will help you to learn a lot, and eventually you'll be able to progress upwards into assistant positions and you'll get to learn a thing or two. Also look into paid internships for those who have completed degrees. They're very competitive, but definitely worth a look at

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.