The Student Room Group

UCL vs Nottingham?

What is a more respected degree that employers in the financial sectors will prefer?

Philosophy & Economics @ UCL

or

Maths & Economics @ Nottingham
UCL trumps Nottingham...

but you would likely have a better life in Nottingham, being a student in London is painful unless your minted.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
UCL trumps Nottingham...

but you would likely have a better life in Nottingham, being a student in London is painful unless your minted.

Have you studied in London?
I second the original comment. UCL would be considered academically better to attend however being an ex Nottingham student myself I can confirm the student experience there is second to none. Absolutely fantastic time spent there! Highly recommend!
Original post by SuperHuman98
Have you studied in London?

Did my foundation year last year at a private foundation in Birkbeck University, which is right next to Euston station which is right next to UCL. And the financial struggle is really real. Which is why i decided i wanted to go somewhere prestigious but get out of London. Greatest city in the world but you spend more time being broke as a student then living a bankers life that lives there. So i aimed for Nottingham and attend there :smile:
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Did my foundation year last year at a private foundation in Birkbeck University, which is right next to Euston station which is right next to UCL. And the financial struggle is really real. Which is why i decided i wanted to go somewhere prestigious but get out of London. Greatest city in the world but you spend more time being broke as a student then living a bankers life that lives there. So i aimed for Nottingham and attend there :smile:

Ohh ok. I am deciding between UCL and Notts like OP. It’s just that I prefer the course much more at UCL than Nottingham. I don’t dislike it at Notts it’s just the History course at ucl is much more better and is amazing. Also with all the best libraries,facilities in London.

Do you think that outweighs how expensive it is? I could also commute.

Hope this doesn’t hijack ops thread
Original post by SuperHuman98
Ohh ok. I am deciding between UCL and Notts like OP. It’s just that I prefer the course much more at UCL than Nottingham. I don’t dislike it at Notts it’s just the History course at ucl is much more better and is amazing. Also with all the best libraries,facilities in London.

Do you think that outweighs how expensive it is? I could also commute.

Hope this doesn’t hijack ops thread

We have a massive library at University park similar to that of UCL. UCL has a students union that is tiny compared to the nightlife of Nottingham.
the cheapest beer can be drank at the UCL students union at £3.75 a pint lol, (not cheap at all) it makes alot of the students a bit antisocial. You wont have this issue in Nottingham, going to clubs costs like £5 pounds entry and you can get wasted for about £40 pounds on a night out. You might get thirsty in London doing that. About £20 quid to get in a club in London, round £10 pounds for a real drink vodka redbull etc, £7 for a beer.

Now to the academics and repuation: You obviously will be considered ever the more brighter if you graduate from UCL, how much brighter leaves to be desired. Most likely your classmates will make you seem more average then they would here at Nottingham. So you might have a better chance at a first here. This may be completely false im speculating. What i can tell you is this, Nottingham is a super nice and friendly campus with modern environments and a city that is 10 minutes away by bus, you can buy the season transport pass in august for like £200 pounds transist for the year, thats what the tube costs for a month if you commute in London. You will graduate with even more debt, but that doesnt really matter considering none of us will really pay it back.

So there are definitely advantages and disadvantages. Though i havent had too much contact with the history department, i have taken one history module ( i do business) i found it quite interesting...there is a heavy focus here on critical analysis as in everywhere Russell group and thinking about history differently from the view point of how it occurred (once again not my department).

However finally i will add, life is easier in Nottingham, money is still an issue but its not nearly as much of an issue.
(edited 6 years ago)
Philosophy & Economics @ UCL

or

Maths & Economics @ Nottingham

sorry, Notts has an excellent reputation for economics and whose grads are highly sought after by employers. the notts course is most prestigious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending