Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 18, I've achieved nothing in life, my dream is to work with animals full time.

Basically the situation I'm in sucks, I'm tired emotionally and physically, I have anxiety all the time, sometimes over nothing and sometimes over everything, money, College, people stressing me out, I lose it pretty quickly, people don't seem to like me, maybe it's cause I come across quite angry, I have severe anxiety, I have depression and low iron, low iron can cause a lot of my anxiety and low moods and I have had trouble with feeling quite ill physically, my anxiety is a lot to do with money and future, my depression is just life altogether.

My sibling has great GCSEs, A levels, a masters degree, a good paid job where they even work from home at times, me? I have 0 GCSEs at C or above, mostly Us, I'm doing level 1 functional skills but it's not a level 2 qualification which is what you need in English and maths, which I'm also not capable of getting, I'm pretty stupid, and I hate seeing how easy this sibling has it, never had mental health issues, never had to work hard it all comes naturally to them, had confidence, great school life, no problems at all, I've had a very negative life and my future is now guarantee going to be affected because of it all. I'm not likely to ever work with animals, I'm not likely to ever get a decent job or decent pay, I hate how tired I am all of the time, 1 day I'm happy the next I'm not, what am I supposed to do?

Get a job stacking shelves, or postman, or McDonalds. Earn a living
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Stfu u sad lowlife pr*ck, attacking someone who's clearly in a bad place, trying to make them feel worse about the situation their in, you're a vile excuse for a human, scumbag

Stfu u sad lowlife pr*ck, attacking someone who's clearly in a bad place, trying to make them feel worse about the situation their in, you're a vile excuse for a human, scumbag
    How is that person attacking in anyway? Get a job at McDonald’s or stack shelves and earn a living..... it’s great advice. Clearly this person isn’t right for education. So he can work his way up to management position in McDonald’s or sainburys. Your the real idiot. Obviously a kid. Welcome to the real world. Probably not even 21 yet 😂

How is that person attacking in anyway? Get a job at McDonald’s or stack shelves and earn a living..... it’s great advice. Clearly this person isn’t right for education. So he can work his way up to management position in McDonald’s or sainburys. Your the real idiot. Obviously a kid. Welcome to the real world. Probably not even 21 yet 😂
    They want to work with animals you idiot and with mental and physical issues a terribly paid job you hate will destroy you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it’s always good to have an exterior ear. There’s people going through what you are. The thing is if you dream big you’re gonna be big. You wanna work with animals then picture yourself doing it and the path you can take to get there. And don’t focus on comparing yourself to other people it will just drag you down. You have to put other people aside and focus on yourself. Give everything you can and commit to making yourself a better person. At the end of the day when you’re 30 everything you care about now will be pointless. Work towards little goals one step at a time and eventually you will end up at the top of the ladder. Push yourself a little harder every time and if it gets to much. Retreat from the real world for a few hours. Go to the cinema and see a movie. That’s my go to. Turn off your phone. And lose yourself in a completely different world. When I started having my anxiety I bought a unlimited card for cineworld. Escaping for a few hours can help you to calm your nerves and gather yourself. Take your time and then the next day you can start to work on what you think you can improve on from the day before. And in terms of a job it’s so hard at our age. But just get out there and try and get any experience you can. Glass collecting. Anything you can eat your hands on take it. Experience is valuable no matter what. Volunteer at an animal shelter. Apply for things that relate to your goals. And eventually you’ll get there. Chin up yo!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, I've achieved nothing in life, my dream is to work with animals full time.

Basically the situation I'm in sucks, I'm tired emotionally and physically, I have anxiety all the time, sometimes over nothing and sometimes over everything, money, College, people stressing me out, I lose it pretty quickly, people don't seem to like me, maybe it's cause I come across quite angry, I have severe anxiety, I have depression and low iron, low iron can cause a lot of my anxiety and low moods and I have had trouble with feeling quite ill physically, my anxiety is a lot to do with money and future, my depression is just life altogether.

My sibling has great GCSEs, A levels, a masters degree, a good paid job where they even work from home at times, me? I have 0 GCSEs at C or above, mostly Us, I'm doing level 1 functional skills but it's not a level 2 qualification which is what you need in English and maths, which I'm also not capable of getting, I'm pretty stupid, and I hate seeing how easy this sibling has it, never had mental health issues, never had to work hard it all comes naturally to them, had confidence, great school life, no problems at all, I've had a very negative life and my future is now guarantee going to be affected because of it all. I'm not likely to ever work with animals, I'm not likely to ever get a decent job or decent pay, I hate how tired I am all of the time, 1 day I'm happy the next I'm not, what am I supposed to do?
    Hey. I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it.

If your passion is for working with animals then how about seeking some voluntary work in the industry, at local kennels or animal sanctuaries. That might be a good potential release for you and allow you to take your mind away from some of the stresses of life.

If you feel as though you need to talk remember you can always come here and we'll lend a listening ear. You might like to check out an organisation called The Mix. Their discussion boards offer a great place for safe discussion with people who have experienced similar situations to yourself. Everyone over there is lovely and will be happy to share their experiences with you I'm sure.

All the best

ReputationRep:
    18 is still young so there’s plenty of time to do stuff. If you haven’t got antidepressants from a doctor, then I’d recommend getting some. They really helped my bf, even when life was unfair and he felt very stuck and helpless (he couldn’t get a job for ages and when he did he almost wasn’t able to move to the city his new job was located in).
    Try not to focus on the future too much. Focus on college and ignore whoever is stressing you, they’re not helping you. Try volunteering at animal shelters or something similar so you can build up experience of working with animals and help your cv. It doesn’t have to be a lot right now but even a little bit will help.

Because telling someone to "get a job at McDonalds" is highly degrading. Most people who want a job want something at least slightly decent. You might as well have told him to get a job as a village idiot. Its not great advice.

"Probably not even 21 yet", like read the very first sentence of the OP. If your gonna give advice on this subject, he needs advice on aquiring decent employment or education. This may mean he should seek out professional help for the anxiety issues first, I dont know because I'm no expert. But I do recognise your advice as being particularly poor.

(Original post by Laomedeia)
    Because telling someone to "get a job at McDonalds" is highly degrading. Most people who want a job want something at least slightly decent. You might as well have told him to get a job as a village idiot. Its not great advice.

"Probably not even 21 yet", like read the very first sentence of the OP. If your gonna give advice on this subject, he needs advice on aquiring decent employment or education. This may mean he should seek out professional help for the anxiety issues first, I dont know because I'm no expert. But I do recognise your advice as being particularly poor.
    Thank you

Drop dead

ReputationRep:
    McDonald’s is probably one of the most employable entry level companies you could ever enter into. It’s sad how people are so quick to label it as low paid and mediocre when it’s actually better paid than most jobs and has one of the biggest graduate schemes in the country. Many people I know work there and have done for years (as their sole income or alongside study) and LOVE it there! A lot of them it helped boost their CV above other students, so don’t be so quick to judge! That person has every right to suggest those jobs - they are by know mean bad and can actually pay better than most full time jobs that teenagers get. Many of them help you progress up the ladder - team leader, shift manager, supervisor. All of which are well paid and look great on a CV over educational qualifications. Just saying 🤷🏻*♀️

(Original post by Lily048)
    McDonald’s is probably one of the most employable entry level companies you could ever enter into. It’s sad how people are so quick to label it as low paid and mediocre when it’s actually better paid than most jobs and has one of the biggest graduate schemes in the country. Many people I know work there and have done for years (as their sole income or alongside study) and LOVE it there! A lot of them it helped boost their CV above other students, so don’t be so quick to judge! That person has every right to suggest those jobs - they are by know mean bad and can actually pay better than most full time jobs that teenagers get. Many of them help you progress up the ladder - team leader, shift manager, supervisor. All of which are well paid and look great on a CV over educational qualifications. Just saying 🤷🏻*♀️
    Well I want to work with animals, not work in McDonald's, maybe for teens it is one of best paying jobs but when you're in your 20s or older it' one of the worst, I want to be happy on my job not depressed like I would be working in McDonald's.

ReputationRep:
    No offence but working with animals (unless you’re a vet or work in veterinary practice) is always going to be somewhat low paid as an adult - and to be a vet or veterinary nurse you have to have a degree or a levels at least

Also those jobs that the person suggested are the ones which will be first to go as staff are being replaced by robots, they're also saying I'm too stupid to get a half decent job, do you know how that feels? I doubt it. I want a decent career.

No offence but working with animals (unless you’re a vet or work in veterinary practice) is always going to be somewhat low paid as an adult - and to be a vet or veterinary nurse you have to have a degree or a levels at least
    Yes I do know, maybe I don't have qualifications but I'm not stupid, at least I'll be low paid and happy doing what I've always wanted to do. Not like I can get some high paying office job.

ReputationRep:
    These jobs are not going to be replaced by robots that’s just an excuse to not even try and earn some money while you figure things out - even the most intelligent people work at these jobs to provide an income whilst they study or look for a full time job in their field. I decent career can be made working your way up in a job or by pursuing an area of education you enjoy to a high level - sorry but that’s the truth, you cannot earn a decent wage working as a dog trainer all your life - to get decent WELL PAID jobs with animals requires at least a level 3 NVQ if not higher with experience, GCSEs will be required believe it or not

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough but you just said you wanted a decent career, eventually a low paid job will not serve you well as a ‘decent career’ - of course make sure you’re happy but at least broaden your mind just an inch to experience other areas of work first before you go saying they’re rubbish and not for you...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try to get a job in a zoo or stable or maybe in a national park.

These jobs are not going to be replaced by robots that’s just an excuse to not even try and earn some money while you figure things out - even the most intelligent people work at these jobs to provide an income whilst they study or look for a full time job in their field. I decent career can be made working your way up in a job or by pursuing an area of education you enjoy to a high level - sorry but that’s the truth, you can not earn a decent wage working as a dog trainer all your life - to get decent WELL PAID jobs with animals requires at least a level 3 NVQ if not higher with experience, GCSEs will be required believe it or not
    Hahaha, who even are you, I'm not taking advice from someone who is deluded, those jobs already are being taken over, and I already am considering pre access then access at level 3 in animal management so stfu. Also if I want to be a dog trainer for the rest of my life I will be d**knead

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.