Turn on thread page Beta

Should the T be dropped from LGBT watch

ReputationRep:
    To me linking sexuality and gender preference is silly as they have nothing to do with each other. One is about attraction and the other is about what gender/sex you identify as.

Why don't we just have a new acroynm of BWQTDL (Black, women, Queer, Trans, Disabled and Latinos) because they all have as much in common as sexuality and gender identity.

It just feels like people assume they are the same when they are not. We don't put any other minority communities with different characteristics together. There is no mainstream Black women community people understand that being a women is wholly separate from being black. So we treat the two communities and their issues differently.

The same should be done with gender and sexuality, as they are wholly different in substance and in their issues.

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry what is wrong with putting them together?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by RohanYnaik)
    Should the T be dropped from LGBT
    No.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I must say I do see your point although I feel it would be somewhat pointless to venture down that path - for simplicities sake -but interesting none the less.

ReputationRep:
    To me linking sexuality and gender preference is silly as they have nothing to do with each other. One is about attraction and the other is about what gender/sex you identify as.

Why don't we just have a new acroynm of BWQTDL (Black, women, Queer, Trans, Disabled and Latinos) because they all have as much in common as sexuality and gender identity.

It just feels like people assume they are the same when they are not. We don't put any other minority communities with different characteristics together. There is no mainstream Black women community people understand that being a women is wholly separate from being black. So we treat the two communities and their issues differently.

The same should be done with gender and sexuality, as they are wholly different in substance and in their issues.
    I agree, from a sense perspective.

But if LGBT were to ditch transgenders, their voice would be dampened.

I feel like gays and bisexuals are accepted by most now.

Lesbians have been accepted by most for awhile, mainly down to guys being the bullies for the other three. Girls seem to be a lot more understanding in my experience

Even some gays have mocked transgenders, so evidentially some don't see them in the same category.

They seem to be the minority in the minorities, and again, that's why I wouldn't ditch them.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff

Gay rights and transgender rights have a fair bit in common, more so than other minorities you listed. As one example, being black was never considered a mental disorder here in the UK. Being gay and being trans on the other hand have both been categorised that way. It's also never been illegal to be disabled, but again both gay and trans people have literally been outlawed and imprisoned in the past.

These shared issues are why the two are often grouped together. There are differences too, but the whole LGBT movememebt is about people with differences living side-by-side without conflict, so that's really not much of a problem most of the time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Seeing as trans women were the ones throwing bricks at Stonewall maybe you should respect that

I for one think rather we should start excluding transphobes from the community rather than further isolating the trans community which has done so much for us and continues to do so, and with whom as above we have a great deal of kinship due to shared trauma.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dez)
    Gay rights and transgender rights have a fair bit in common, more so than other minorities you listed. As one example, being black was never considered a mental disorder here in the UK. Being gay and being trans on the other hand have both been categorised that way. It's also never been illegal to be disabled, but again both gay and trans people have literally been outlawed and imprisoned in the past.

These shared issues are why the two are often grouped together. There are differences too, but the whole LGBT movememebt is about people with differences living side-by-side without conflict, so that's really not much of a problem most of the time.
    Pretty much this really - also, you could argue reasons why most of the LGBT+ groups could be separated out, but if you keep doing so, eventually you end up with such small groups that it's considerably harder to fight for anything. At the end of the day, the vast majority of LGBT+ want T to be included, and want to fight for their rights too, so I don't see an issue at all here.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.