Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am nearly finished studying Aat level 3 and will be shortly moving onto level 4. Should I do level 4 with an accounting firm or is fine to study just with a college. And if it is recommended I work alongside an accounting firm is this crucial? Does it matter what path I take?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    What do you intend to do once AAT complete?

If that is as far as you are going at present then you may find it easier to look for employment earlier as employers do want experience as well as exam passes. Even if intending to then progress to say ACA some experience would not hurt your prospects but may not be quite as critical as degree candidates will also likely have none.

Are you looking at the AAT/ACA pathway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    What do you intend to do once AAT complete?

If that is as far as you are going at present then you may find it easier to look for employment earlier as employers do want experience as well as exam passes. Even if intending to then progress to say ACA some experience would not hurt your prospects but may not be quite as critical as degree candidates will also likely have none.

Are you looking at the AAT/ACA pathway?
    I would like to eventually be qualified in acca or CIMA. I would like to carry on after level 4 Aat I do not want to stop. I was just wondering if I should do an apprenticeship for level 4 or if it’s okay to just study at college and then move onto working with an accounting firm and then do CIMA or acca once working with an accounting after doing level 4.

It’s just a matter of is it okay to start working with an accounting firm later (after level 4 Aat) or should I be looking to work with one now? I would prefer to just stay at college until after level 4 but I do not know if this is an acceptable route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.w.1999)
    I would like to eventually be qualified in acca or CIMA. I would like to carry on after level 4 Aat I do not want to stop. I was just wondering if I should do an apprenticeship for level 4 or if it’s okay to just study at college and then move onto working with an accounting firm and then do CIMA or acca once working with an accounting after doing level 4.

It’s just a matter of is it okay to start working with an accounting firm later (after level 4 Aat) or should I be looking to work with one now? I would prefer to just stay at college until after level 4 but I do not know if this is an acceptable route.
    I think that very much depends on what role you are taken on to do with the the accounting firm.

The say AAT/ACA route is structured that the employer is not really expecting experience at day 1. But other firms, where say there is not as much of a formal training structure in place, may well more be taking you on to be actually useful on day one with the professional training as more of an add on.

Again I am well out of date re all this (1980s and 1990s) but when the firm I was with did train (for ICAS) first year apprentices were a cost, second year maybe break even, third year we maybe got our investment back in fees earned

My slight concern, and I am no expert at all, is your exam passes will greatly exceed your experience, fine if prospective employer expects this, not so fine if he does not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    I think that very much depends on what role you are taken on to do with the the accounting firm.

The say AAT/ACA route is structured that the employer is not really expecting experience at day 1. But other firms, where say there is not as much of a formal training structure in place, may well more be taking you on to be actually useful on day one with the professional training as more of an add on.

Again I am well out of date re all this (1980s and 1990s) but when the firm I was with did train (for ICAS) first year apprentices were a cost, second year maybe break even, third year we maybe got our investment back in fees earned

My slight concern, and I am no expert at all, is your exam passes will greatly exceed your experience, fine if prospective employer expects this, not so fine if he does not.
    So at my level it’s not essential to do an apprenticeship. Just as long as I pass my exams. I would like to go on to do CIMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.w.1999)
    So at my level it’s not essential to do an apprenticeship. Just as long as I pass my exams. I would like to go on to do CIMA.
    I am not really trying to say that.

By the way are there many accounting practices that would train via CIMA route anyway? There may be but the traditional larger training accounting practices have I think (and I am well out of the loop these days, maybe someone else more current can comment) more normally concentrated on ACA or CA with some more limited ACCA programmes.

You have to appreciate here that I was doing this a long time ago, and things may well (probably have) changed, but when I trained only 1 person I knew in the firm (at time a top 20, now part of RSM, no 7) was doing ACCA, the rest of us in Scotland were doing CA or down south ACA.

Those following the degree then ACA/CA route will, like you, have little or no practice experience when they start but that is fine, the firms do not expect any. Those doing the more recent combined ATT/ACA route will gain experience whilst doing the ATT element. So firms using ATT as the first step likely expect you to more do this first step with them, gaining experience as the trainee progresses, but you are proposing gaining the ATT level 4 on an exam only basis with no experience and I would be concerned the ACA trainers might not find that attractive, cutting of a possible route to chartered status in practice.

Now if you want to train re say CIMA is that not still these days more via industry rather than via accounting practices?

For someone taking you on in industry I suspect they will be a little wary as you lack experience, there may be a salary/exam/experience conflict (in effect you will be over qualified re the entry roles and under experienced re the CIMA route they may offer)

Now I do not know any of this, it is merely suspicion, so what you likely need to do is examine the pathways offered on the various institute websites and also look at the roles practices and industry offer entrants and see how level 4 ATT exam pass but no experience fits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    I am not really trying to say that.

By the way are there many accounting practices that would train via CIMA route anyway? There may be but the traditional larger training accounting practices have I think (and I am well out of the loop these days, maybe someone else more current can comment) more normally concentrated on ACA or CA with some more limited ACCA programmes.

You have to appreciate here that I was doing this a long time ago, and things may well (probably have) changed, but when I trained only 1 person I knew in the firm (at time a top 20, now part of RSM, no 7) was doing ACCA, the rest of us in Scotland were doing CA or down south ACA.

Those following the degree then ACA/CA route will, like you, have little or no practice experience when they start but that is fine, the firms do not expect any. Those doing the more recent combined ATT/ACA route will gain experience whilst doing the ATT element. So firms using ATT as the first step likely expect you to more do this first step with them, gaining experience as the trainee progresses, but you are proposing gaining the ATT level 4 on an exam only basis with no experience and I would be concerned the ACA trainers might not find that attractive, cutting of a possible route to chartered status in practice.

Now if you want to train re say CIMA is that not still these days more via industry rather than via accounting practices?

For someone taking you on in industry I suspect they will be a little wary as you lack experience, there may be a salary/exam/experience conflict (in effect you will be over qualified re the entry roles and under experienced re the CIMA route they may offer)

Now I do not know any of this, it is merely suspicion, so what you likely need to do is examine the pathways offered on the various institute websites and also look at the roles practices and industry offer entrants and see how level 4 ATT exam pass but no experience fits.
    Thank you for your help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.