Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of studying zoology in university. And I have done some research about courses in austrailia but there aren't much zoology courses.
    If I do a zoology course in UK will it be more worth and better than if I do it in austrailia? My results are BBCd btw
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Oshadhaw99)
    I'm thinking of studying zoology in university. And I have done some research about courses in austrailia but there aren't much zoology courses.
    If I do a zoology course in UK will it be more worth and better than if I do it in austrailia? My results are BBCd btw
    Worth it for what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Worth it for what?
    What I meant by worth it is that is a zoology degree from U.K. recognized than from austrailia? Like will I have more job opportunities if I do it in U.K. or Austrailia?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    What I meant by worth it is that is a zoology degree from U.K. recognized than from austrailia? Like will I have more job opportunities if I do it in U.K. or Austrailia?
    Depends on where you want to work, if you want to stay in zoology what sub field, if any accreditation is required etc. There's lots to consider so you need to do some research for a start to work out what those factors are and then compare.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Broadly, if you work in the scientific/academic sector either will be fine if it's a "known" university. A more regional uni might make it slightly more challenging finding something in the other country, but ultimately academics will assess you on the work you've done (especially e.g. dissertations, theses, etc) more than the name of your university.

Outside of this area, if you're getting a degree in Zoology and doing something unrelated, it comes down to the name-brand of the uni - and there are some better known ones in Aus, but fewer overall (that said there aren't as many unis in general there). You may want to seriously consider the financial implications of studying in Australia, as there is, to my understanding, very little funding available for international students - and the degrees are extremely expensive (I believe science subjects tend to be more expensive as well than e.g. humanities etc).

You could consider a UK course which has the option to study abroad in Australia, which lets you get the best of both worlds really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Broadly, if you work in the scientific/academic sector either will be fine if it's a "known" university. A more regional uni might make it slightly more challenging finding something in the other country, but ultimately academics will assess you on the work you've done (especially e.g. dissertations, theses, etc) more than the name of your university.

Outside of this area, if you're getting a degree in Zoology and doing something unrelated, it comes down to the name-brand of the uni - and there are some better known ones in Aus, but fewer overall (that said there aren't as many unis in general there). You may want to seriously consider the financial implications of studying in Australia, as there is, to my understanding, very little funding available for international students - and the degrees are extremely expensive (I believe science subjects tend to be more expensive as well than e.g. humanities etc).

You could consider a UK course which has the option to study abroad in Australia, which lets you get the best of both worlds really.

Are U.K. science courses less expensive for international students than austrailia courses? I'm from Srilanka by the way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Are U.K. science courses less expensive for international students than austrailia courses? I'm from Srilanka by the way.
    Ah I missed that when responding - I'm not sure. They're probably similar, depending on the university realistically. You may want to consider more general, non-academic aspects of the two countries - climate, social environment, costs of travel, cost of living, so on and so forth.

Provided you want to go into the relevant are of work, both will suffice in academic terms I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou very much. Earlier you said a regional uni will make it slightly more challenging to get something in the other country, so say if I do a degree in the university of Adelaide, will my degree be accepted equally in U.K. or USA ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.