Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am strongly considering doing a Masters in international criminology at Greenwich, but I want to be sure I make a choice that I am happy with.
    I plan to go into the field of criminal justice as a career and hence want to be able to expand my knowledge of crime. Ideally, I would like to hear from people that have similar aspirations, but most importantly people that have studied criminology at Greenwich. I want to know if the courses were enjoyable/if the professors were helpful/if studying criminology there was a good experience overall.
    Additionally, if anyone could comment as to whether or not life as a student at Greenwich was good or bad and why, I would like to hear about that as well.
    Anyone that feels they have useful information to share please do, I would appreciate it very much.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by JonSmith)
    I am strongly considering doing a Masters in international criminology at Greenwich, but I want to be sure I make a choice that I am happy with.
    I plan to go into the field of criminal justice as a career and hence want to be able to expand my knowledge of crime. Ideally, I would like to hear from people that have similar aspirations, but most importantly people that have studied criminology at Greenwich. I want to know if the courses were enjoyable/if the professors were helpful/if studying criminology there was a good experience overall.
    Additionally, if anyone could comment as to whether or not life as a student at Greenwich was good or bad and why, I would like to hear about that as well.
    Anyone that feels they have useful information to share please do, I would appreciate it very much.
    Hi Jon,

One of our Student Ambassadors that studied a similar course has provided some detailed information:

Hi!

I studied my undergraduate BA Criminology at Greenwich before going onto completing my MSc Criminology and Criminal Psychology degree at Greenwich too. Many of the modules for the MA International Criminology and MSc Criminology and Criminal Psychology degree are similar (which you can compare too on the course pages on our website), so hopefully I can give you an idea what it’s like to study a postgraduate degree in Criminology at Greenwich.

I thoroughly enjoyed my undergraduate degree, and if possible, found my master’s degree even more enjoyable. From ‘Criminal Investigative Psychology’ and ‘Research Methods’, to ‘Psychology, Development and Crime’ and ‘Crime, Terrorism & the State’, the compulsory and optional modules I chose to study were all different, yet very interesting and ones that introduced me to different career paths I can enter into within Criminology. For me personally though, it was my postgraduate dissertation which you work on throughout the summer, which I found most enjoyable. To be able to take control of what you want to study, and have the option to do primary research was refreshing! The support I received from my dissertation supervisor was incredible, as her amazing feedback and support throughout the process definitely played a role in my overall grade.

Greenwich is a very diverse and social place, it’s a popular tourist and filming location as the scenery at Greenwich is beautiful. The DLR station is located closely to the campus, with many restaurants, shops, Greenwich Market and of course Greenwich Park just steps away too. We do also have a Criminology Society that are constantly looking to provide opportunities to get involved in Criminology related events and meet like-minded people with the same interests as you. They aim to organise a variety of events including meet ups, trips, quizzes and lots more and also give you support if needed and a way to interact with other Criminology students from other years, or staff that can help you through your studies.

I hope you have a better insight from a past Criminology masters student into what it’s like to study at Greenwich. I would definitely recommend you come to one of our Open Days or Campus Days soon, so you can have a look around the university, to get a better idea of the university before you decide to apply.

Good luck!

Taseen

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.