The Student Room Group

Are these a levels fine to study law?

Hey guys I know there’s a lot going on in terms of facilitating subjects and how many you should take ect so I was hoping you guys could give me some confirmation!? So I wanna do:
Biology, philosophy, gov&politcs/photography
I eventually want to study law at uni!
What do you guys think?
Original post by Sjannat1
Hey guys I know there’s a lot going on in terms of facilitating subjects and how many you should take ect so I was hoping you guys could give me some confirmation!? So I wanna do:
Biology, philosophy, gov&politcs/photography
I eventually want to study law at uni!
What do you guys think?

There are no set A levels for Law.

You have one facilitating subject. Two of these plus one other is always ok.

Check the entrance requirements for the unis you are interested in and sometimes they have preferred lists for the very competitive unis.
Philosophy and Govt and politics are likely to be on the preferred list.

Photography is the weak one as its less academic.

If you choose those 4 then it should be fine and will be all about grades.

There are other more suited A levels, but do the ones where you can get good grades.
Yes.

More specifically, as above there are no required subjects, but "academic" subjects (i.e. those which are assessed by unseen written examination primarily) tend to be preferred. Philosophy and G&P are equally acceptable as Biology in this regard. More generally, you should focus on choosing the (academic) subjects you do best in and enjoy the most, as this will maximise your chances of doing well and getting the necessary high grades

Photography, as above, is less desirable, although most universities will consider two "academic" subjects and another. If you are interested in photography but plan to study Law, I would be inclined to suggest you pursue this interest in an extracurricular fashion rather than by taking an A-level in it. You may well be able to use the photography facilities of your school with permission in any case..

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
There are no set A levels for Law.

You have one facilitating subject. Two of these plus one other is always ok.

Check the entrance requirements for the unis you are interested in and sometimes they have preferred lists for the very competitive unis.
Philosophy and Govt and politics are likely to be on the preferred list.

Photography is the weak one as its less academic.

If you choose those 4 then it should be fine and will be all about grades.

There are other more suited A levels, but do the ones where you can get good grades.

Thank you so much! You reply has been very helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes.

More specifically, as above there are no required subjects, but "academic" subjects (i.e. those which are assessed by unseen written examination primarily) tend to be preferred. Philosophy and G&P are equally acceptable as Biology in this regard. More generally, you should focus on choosing the (academic) subjects you do best in and enjoy the most, as this will maximise your chances of doing well and getting the necessary high grades

Photography, as above, is less desirable, although most universities will consider two "academic" subjects and another. If you are interested in photography but plan to study Law, I would be inclined to suggest you pursue this interest in an extracurricular fashion rather than by taking an A-level in it. You may well be able to use the photography facilities of your school with permission in any case..

Spoiler

Thank you! Your reply has been so helpful!
I'm considering doing law. I'm planning on taking English literature, history, and psychology.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes.

Spoiler

In that case, would studying philosophy, G&P and psychology be fine? As I’ve seen for most subject, those 3 are in the preferred lists. Would that be ok too?
Original post by Sjannat1
In that case, would studying philosophy, G&P and psychology be fine? As I’ve seen for most subject, those 3 are in the preferred lists. Would that be ok too?

Original post by sadsadgirl
I'm considering doing law. I'm planning on taking English literature, history, and psychology.

I see no problem with either of these combinations, although you may want to consider that I am not university admissions staff - I've merely done much the same research as you will have. As you said, those subjects are all "preferred" on any published lists (which these days is pretty much just LSE) so, they should be suitable.

Quick Reply

Latest