Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please tell me if Business IT is a good degree to get into as of 2018? What is the employability like , what types of jobs could i get and all that stuff.

(Is this a good degree to get into the IT field)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonic937)
    Can anyone please tell me if Business IT is a good degree to get into as of 2018? What is the employability like , what types of jobs could i get and all that stuff.

(Is this a good degree to get into the IT field)

Thanks
    Generally, BIT degrees are not as in depth in terms of the technical aspects of Computing compared to say, a Computer Science degree or Software Engineering degree. Many job roles may require a more in depth understanding technology. There are other roles that range for general IT support, IT support management, or IT consultancy that BIT would be a good fit for. It's not impossible that you could land a post as a programmer if you study BIT, but if that's your goal, CS or SE would be a better bet.

You have to figure out what kind of role you would like after uni. I would also say there are very few CS PhD opportunities for BIT grads. Generally, if you wanted to do PhD you would be looking at a Business PhD instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    Generally, BIT degrees are not as in depth in terms of the technical aspects of Computing compared to say, a Computer Science degree or Software Engineering degree. Many job roles may require a more in depth understanding technology. There are other roles that range for general IT support, IT support management, or IT consultancy that BIT would be a good fit for. It's not impossible that you could land a post as a programmer if you study BIT, but if that's your goal, CS or SE would be a better bet.

You have to figure out what kind of role you would like after uni. I would also say there are very few CS PhD opportunities for BIT grads. Generally, if you wanted to do PhD you would be looking at a Business PhD instead.
    Programming isnt for me, i want to maybe get into an analyst role, so would you say this is achieveble with a BIT degree?

ReputationRep:
    Programming isnt for me, i want to maybe get into an analyst role, so would you say this is achieveble with a BIT degree?
    When you say an "analyst" what job do you specifically have in mind? That's a fairly broad term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    When you say an "analyst" what job do you specifically have in mind? That's a fairly broad term.
    Maybe something such as a QA/software test analyst? But i feel as if you have to have specific training for these roles and it doesnt matter too much on what degree you have.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe something such as a QA/software test analyst? But i feel as if you have to have specific training for these roles and it doesnt matter too much on what degree you have.

What do you think?
    It's possible to get a QA role, but post uni you'd be looking to do ISTQB training and possibly ISO27000 training. If you have those you'd be golden.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 2, 2018

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.