How have your communities helped your mental health? watch

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Today is University Mental Health Day and we're discussing the theme of commUNIty.

We all have mental health, that's a fact. Sometimes it's great, sometimes we get ill, and sometimes we just don't feel good.

How have your communities helped you with yours? It could be your university, a group of people on the across the world you have something in common with, your peers, even TSR. I'm looking to write a short article about this, so even if you post anonymously I'd really like to hear your thoughts!

Want to talk more about University Mental Health Day? Check it out here >>>
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Today is University Mental Health Day and we're discussing the theme of commUNIty.

We all have mental health, that's a fact. Sometimes it's great, sometimes we get ill, and sometimes we just don't feel good.

How have your communities helped you with yours? It could be your university, a group of people on the across the world you have something in common with, your peers, even TSR. I'm looking to write a short article about this, so even if you post anonymously I'd really like to hear your thoughts!

Want to talk more about University Mental Health Day? Check it out here >>>
    My uni has a service to help people with their mental health. I never used it but I know people who did and found it really useful, it's good that unis have this kind of service for students.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think two of the most valuable communities for me, in terms of support provided, have been my Facebook friends and my faith community. When I'm having a difficult time with my mental health, I reach out to my Facebook friends by posting a status about how I'm feeling. The love and care I've been shown through Facebook has been overwhelming Some of the messages/reactions come from people I've never met and may never meet, but they still care which is lovely :love:

As for my faith community: I have a lot of problems attending church, due to my psychosis. Over the years, I've had friends help chaperone me to services, help me get away from services, pray for me, light candles for me. One friend even got me a ticket to see Pope Benedict XVI in Hyde Park when he came to the UK in 2010. All these things mean a lot to me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.