Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For the past week, I've been doing a lot of research on various UK universities. Most of them only list the grading scale as a requirement. Is that enough to get in without additional papers? I was wondering how hard it is to get into UK graduate programs. Do I have to take any tests besides English proficiency ones? On a UK grading scale I have a 2:1 (Upper second-class honours) without any research or work experience. I have a 3.283 GPA on an American Scale which is closer to 2:1 rather than 2:2 in UK. (I slacked during my freshman years and couldn't repeat the classes to cover the bad grade later on)

How hard would it be to get into good UK universities? I was thinking about pre-masters programs, but it seems like those programs are mostly made for people who have never studied in English speaking country before. I also received my bachelor degree from a university in U.S and I'm planning to switch from B.A in Economics to possibly M.S in Computer Science.

How good/bad are my chances?

Few things you should know about me:

*I'm a Russian citizen. (Will be studying as an international student)

*Outside of UK history, I have a limited knowledge of the country itself. (Have never visited a country, but it isn't a problem since I've never visited U.S before attending my bachelor degree as well)

*I'm fluent in both written and spoken English. (unlike many students in U.S who just pay to get in and can't put two words into a sentence)

*I have only taken 3 computer science related classes during my bachelor years. (my cs skills are mediocre/almost non-existent, but I tend to catch up fast on material given)

P.S. In all honesty, even though my GPA sucks, I'm still aiming at a decent (at least in a top 50) universities in UK. I'm planning to ace everything and do the best work I can in Masters. Any suggestions on which university I should attend are welcomed.

Thank you in advance!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A 3.2 GPA is closer to a 2:2/low 2:1 than a solid/high 2:1 (this is usually considered to be around a 3.5 GPA). Of course, understanding and application of the US system in admissions varies between universities - major universities like Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College and so on tend to receive a good deal of these applications and will be more familiar with them, but equally due to having so many applications, have higher requirements both due to the rigour of the programmes and the high number of quality applications received. Other universities may be more flexible on that point.

However beyond this the lack of research experience (such as a final year major project/dissertation/thesis) is probably going to be more of a problem for many programmes, as well as a lack of background in the subject, in terms of a formal masters level course in the subject. Such courses will expect the equivalent of a UK CS degree - which will be predominantly CS, if not entirely, and include a dissertation or major project in final year (usually at least 25% of the marks for that year).

You may want to consider a Computer Science "conversion" course, of which I believe there are several. I know Imperial have one (their Computing Science masters) - these are aimed for students from other subjects who wish to move into that area (who may or may not have had some background in programming - I believe the Imperial course suggests doing some exercises before arriving or something). They assume you'll have standard English language skills as any other UK graduate.

ReputationRep:
    I believe conversion courses take awhile to finish. Do you think I should do pre-master program instead? It seems like some pre-master programs from top universities guarantee your admission into a field after a successful completion of one. The other option is to continue doing masters in Economics, but I'm not sure whether I actually want to do any economics related work after I finish my masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fomachka)
    For the past week, I've been doing a lot of research on various UK universities. Most of them only list the grading scale as a requirement. Is that enough to get in without additional papers? I was wondering how hard it is to get into UK graduate programs. Do I have to take any tests besides English proficiency ones? On a UK grading scale I have a 2:1 (Upper second-class honours) without any research or work experience. I have a 3.283 GPA on an American Scale which is closer to 2:1 rather than 2:2 in UK. (I slacked during my freshman years and couldn't repeat the classes to cover the bad grade later on)

How hard would it be to get into good UK universities? I was thinking about pre-masters programs, but it seems like those programs are mostly made for people who have never studied in English speaking country before. I also received my bachelor degree from a university in U.S and I'm planning to switch from B.A in Economics to possibly M.S in Computer Science.

How good/bad are my chances?

Few things you should know about me:

*I'm a Russian citizen. (Will be studying as an international student)

*Outside of UK history, I have a limited knowledge of the country itself. (Have never visited a country, but it isn't a problem since I've never visited U.S before attending my bachelor degree as well)

*I'm fluent in both written and spoken English. (unlike many students in U.S who just pay to get in and can't put two words into a sentence)

*I have only taken 3 computer science related classes during my bachelor years. (my cs skills are mediocre/almost non-existent, but I tend to catch up fast on material given)

P.S. In all honesty, even though my GPA sucks, I'm still aiming at a decent (at least in a top 50) universities in UK. I'm planning to ace everything and do the best work I can in Masters. Any suggestions on which university I should attend are welcomed.

Thank you in advance!
    I would also suggest a Computer Science "Conversion" Masters course. They are aimed at people who did not study CS at undergrad. That I am aware of, the following university have these courses:

Uni of Birmingham
    Uni of Nottingham
    Uni of Kent
    Uni of Newcastle
    Uni of Glasgow
    Queens University Belfast
    University of Bath

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.