Turn on thread page Beta

Doctors finally confirm period pain can be as painful as a heart attack watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I don’t know how much more severe you want it if it’s already been compared to a heart attack
    How long is a piece of string?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    If you read what I wrote, I said she had an appointment lined up but it was cancelled due to the weather.
    Lol soz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the beer)
    Yet "Some women would say it’s not that bad".
    The clue is in the word ‘some’.
    It’s a natural process, so it will obviously differ between women. Just because some women don’t get cramps doesn’t mean that you should discount the painful cramps that others feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    How long is a piece of string?
    Ok

(Original post by ANM775)
    My first thought is that i'm against women taking time off

but having never had a period myself perhaps i'm a bit ill qualified to say it can't be that bad? .... I do wonder.......
    One month you can be totally fine and you don't even think about your period till you use the bathroom. The next month can be completely opposite. You can be in agonising pain, can't breath, can't walk, can't get out bed. On those days you need time off.

ReputationRep:
    The clue is in the word ‘some’.
    It’s a natural process, so it will obviously differ between women. Just because some women don’t get cramps doesn’t mean that you should discount the painful cramps that others feel.
    Right, so why should it be an excuse to miss work other than in the most severe cases?

ReputationRep:
    "Professor of reproductive health at University College London, John Guillebaud, told Quartz that patients have described the cramping pain as "almost as bad as having a heart attack."
    Confirmation?

ReputationRep:
    Right, so why should it be an excuse to miss work other than in the most severe cases?
    I'm guessing you're a guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasmineWills)
    whys that?

ReputationRep:
    It’s a good point though, how would it be moderated? By getting a doctors note maybe? There would be plenty of women who would use it to take advantage of the system. Maybe limited number of paid period days like sick day allowance?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn’t ?

ReputationRep:
    I don’t know how much more severe you want it if it’s already been compared to a heart attack
    I think the issue is is that you are assuming that heart attacks are super super painful or that you think that periods only compare to the most painful heart attacks, neither of which the article is saying at all. You are just trying to take a article that gives some evidence and bend it to make your own conclusions, even though that isnt what the article says

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    I think the issue is is that you are assuming that heart attacks are super super painful or that you think that periods only compare to the most painful heart attacks, neither of which the article is saying at all. You are just trying to take a article that gives some evidence and bend it to make your own conclusions, even though that isnt what the article says
    I really don’t want to be sexist but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the men keep using this same argument.

The article states : “period pain can in fact be even more excruciating than many of us realise. It's been ruled as painful as having a heart attack.“ Since you think that I’m jumping to conclusions, what would you take from this statement?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    whys that?
    Because you haven't a clue? It's not a just case of a little bit of blood coming out your vagina a few days every month.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn’t ?
    I was walking home one time, I almost passed out, I had to stop walking from the amount of pain I was in, I've almost thrown up, I have been in so much pain I actually wanted to die for it to stop, I've cried because of the amount of pain I felt so yes it is reason to miss work just like I missed school and college because of it. You guys just think you can comment on something you know nothing about, you can't, you have no rights.

ReputationRep:
    You guys just think you can comment on something you know nothing about, you can't, you have no rights.
    I'm sorry about the painful experience you had, but... what? We can comment on the matter as we wish, this is a public forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.n.h.)
    I'm sorry about the painful experience you had, but... what? We can comment on the matter as we wish, this is a public forum.
    No, you can't, you guys think you're so much better than us women but you would never cope with what we go through.

ReputationRep:
    I really don’t want to be sexist but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the men keep using this same argument.

The article states : “period pain can in fact be even more excruciating than many of us realise. It's been ruled as painful as having a heart attack.“ Since you think that I’m jumping to conclusions, what would you take from this statement?
    I am not disagreeing that period pains can be very painful, I am saying you are drawing conclusions from a article by bending what it says.

Heart attacks vary in pain a lot (as I imagine do period pains) so saying pain of a period = pain of a heart attack is meaningless as they dont quantify or say what heart attack pain they compare to and you have made several untrue statements throughout this thread saying things like 'The comparison is being made between painful periods and painful heart attacks' which is NOT what the article says at all

So as I said earlier, I agree with the article but I dont agree with most of the statements you have said in this thread as you have taken a piece of it and twisted it to make conclusions that arent true (much like newspapers do when people talk to them about things so they can make a more interesting article in the paper)

ReputationRep:
    I was walking home one time, I almost passed out, I had to stop walking from the amount of pain I was in, I've almost thrown up, I have been in so much pain I actually wanted to die for it to stop, I've cried because of the amount of pain I felt so yes it is reason to miss work just like I missed school and college because of it. You guys just think you can comment on something you know nothing about, you can't, you have no rights.
    Uh Who is ‘you guys’?

ReputationRep:
    No, you can't, you guys think you're so much better than us women but you would never cope with what we go through.
    We could never be completely sure if men could cope with periods like yours, but there worse things than a period that some men have gone through. This isn't a proposal that all men can go through this, that isn't true, but is simply an indicator that what you're saying isn't the case. And me and a lot of guys don't think we're better than you because of gender, you've clearly got a chip on your shoulder.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.