Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    this might sound like a stupid question, but in your bibliography do you have to reference experiments/ research studies? So, for example, if i was to explain about Milgrams experiment in my essay - would i then have to reference milgram in my bibligraphy? Obviously in the body of the essay i mention his name and put the date of the experiement etc. So, if i do have to put it in the bibliography, how would i reference it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If mentioned in the bulk of the text then yes, you have to reference it at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Above post is correct.

Precisely how you reference it depends on your department/school's prescribed referencing system (Chicago, Harvard etc.). This should be in your course handbook and guides should be available via your library website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Above post is correct.

Precisely how you reference it depends on your department/school's prescribed referencing system (Chicago, Harvard etc.). This should be in your course handbook and guides should be available via your library website.
    This is the only handout i have:

"References Within your essay acknowledge the ideas that you have got from other people e.g. Bloggs (2004) said that CBT was the best therapy for depression. If you are quoting from a book/ paper then put the comment in quotes and cite the page as well as the author and date e.g. Bloggs & Smith (2004:124). If you are stating what someone said to you (e.g. in an interview) you would write in the text ……… (Bloggs, 2004 pers comm.).

Be sure to make a list of references at the end of your essay in the reference section. This section is made up of books, scientific papers and internet pages etc., in fact anywhere that you got information from to help you with your essay.

The references should be alphabetical order and written as follows: Books: Doob,L.W. (1971) Patterning of Time New Haven CT:Yale Press. Edited books: Ainsworth,M. & Wittig,B. (1969) Attachment and exploratory behaviour in oneyear-olds in a strange situation. In B. Foss (Ed) Determinants of Infant behaviour. Vol4:111-136. London: Methuen

Scientific papers Bronson G.W. (1994) Infants’ transitions toward adult-like scanning Child Development 65: 1243-1261.

Internet sites: http://www.academicassistance.co.uk/referencelist , date accessed."

Which is why i'm a bit confused. How would you reference the milgram study if you were to reference it?
    would it go under scientific papers?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jacki)
    This is the only handout i have:

"References Within your essay acknowledge the ideas that you have got from other people e.g. Bloggs (2004) said that CBT was the best therapy for depression. If you are quoting from a book/ paper then put the comment in quotes and cite the page as well as the author and date e.g. Bloggs & Smith (2004:124). If you are stating what someone said to you (e.g. in an interview) you would write in the text ……… (Bloggs, 2004 pers comm.).

Be sure to make a list of references at the end of your essay in the reference section. This section is made up of books, scientific papers and internet pages etc., in fact anywhere that you got information from to help you with your essay.

The references should be alphabetical order and written as follows: Books: Doob,L.W. (1971) Patterning of Time New Haven CT:Yale Press. Edited books: Ainsworth,M. & Wittig,B. (1969) Attachment and exploratory behaviour in oneyear-olds in a strange situation. In B. Foss (Ed) Determinants of Infant behaviour. Vol4:111-136. London: Methuen

Scientific papers Bronson G.W. (1994) Infants’ transitions toward adult-like scanning Child Development 65: 1243-1261.

Internet sites: http://www.academicassistance.co.uk/referencelist , date accessed."

Which is why i'm a bit confused. How would you reference the milgram study if you were to reference it?
    would it go under scientific papers?
    Hi, Milgram would have published research papers or books that describe this experiment. In fact, it is likely there would be multiple papers in which the reliability and validity of the experiment is tested, as well as some different parameters.

I am not sure if you're suggesting to split your bibliography into subheadings of books, papers, etc. but that is unnecessary. It all goes in the same place. I would recommend looking at how some of the papers you are reading have referenced others.

I am not exactly certain what style of referencing the quote refers to as it looks almost like APA, but not quite.. maybe someone else can tell for sure. However, if you are writing a paper in psychology - the most used style is APA. Other social sciences commonly use Harvard or Chicago (I've linked to some general guidelines to each).

Also, here is a brief paper (open access) discussing the experiment where they have referenced a couple of papers. Use this as an example when referencing, but make sure your referencing style is consistent whatever you use. If you're unsure, ask your supervisor/tutor what style exactly they want you to reference in.

I hope this helps.

Danny,
    MRes Psychology

ReputationRep:
    ^That's all the info you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Bath)
    Hi, Milgram would have published research papers or books that describe this experiment. In fact, it is likely there would be multiple papers in which the reliability and validity of the experiment is tested, as well as some different parameters.

I am not sure if you're suggesting to split your bibliography into subheadings of books, papers, etc. but that is unnecessary. It all goes in the same place. I would recommend looking at how some of the papers you are reading have referenced others.

I am not exactly certain what style of referencing the quote refers to as it looks almost like APA, but not quite.. maybe someone else can tell for sure. However, if you are writing a paper in psychology - the most used style is APA. Other social sciences commonly use Harvard or Chicago (I've linked to some general guidelines to each).

Also, here is a brief paper (open access) discussing the experiment where they have referenced a couple of papers. Use this as an example when referencing, but make sure your referencing style is consistent whatever you use. If you're unsure, ask your supervisor/tutor what style exactly they want you to reference in.

I hope this helps.

Danny,
    MRes Psychology
    thank you! that was extremely helpful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 1, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.