Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling with mental health problems at the moment, my dad is aware of this but i dont really like to speak to him a bout it. i want to talk to a teacher at school about the stress which is on me and stuff about my mum but i done know. i have two in mind one of which is a teacher who i used to have for science for two years, hes really kind and the other is a teacher who usually deals with behaviour and is deputy head. he teaches me pe and is really nice. also how do i start the conversation? please can someone give me advice, thanks.
    update: made an appointment for this week to talk to a teacher, hes actually really nice thanks everyone who helped
    Update 2: that went really badly referred me to the school counsellor cos he has loads of people to deal with. Last thing I wanted to do. Going for the other teacher now.

ReputationRep:
    send either one or both of them an email saying that you are suffering from stress/mental health issues and ask if they are free at any time to discuss it with you.

then once you having a meeting set up, go to it and just go straight into how you are feeling or by how long you have been dealing with these problems
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    It's brilliant that you want to talk to your teacher! That's a really smart move and means you'll be able to get a bit of help from the school to help minimise pressures.

You have a couple of choices. You can go directly to your teacher in person or email and let them know the basics and ask to talk in person. You may find that they need to pass this information on after they talk to you but not in a scary worrying way. Just so that there's a record somewhere. They shouldn't being it to the attention of other teachers, it just needs to be recorded somewhere.

(Original post by damberlouise)
    I am struggling with mental health problems at the moment, my dad is aware of this but i dont really like to speak to him a bout it. i want to talk to a teacher at school about the stress which is on me and stuff about my mum but i done know. i have two in mind one of which is a teacher who i used to have for science for two years, hes really kind and the other is a teacher who usually deals with behaviour and is deputy head. he teaches me pe and is really nice. also how do i start the conversation? please can someone give me advice, thanks.
    Hi!

The fact that you're even considering this so so great, it means you know things need to change and that is such a good start.

I was very recently in a very similar situation. I finally told my parents about my self harm/suicidal thoughts, and they suggested I speak to someone at school as I was feeling incredibly overwhelmed from all my school work on top of everything else that was bothering me. I too had two different teachers in mind, my computing teacher and on of my depute heads. Of course it's up to you but I would maybe suggest someone with higher authority as it may be more useful (in my case I was able to drop a subject).

And how to start the conversation...
    It's a tricky one. I suggest going to them first and setting up a meeting so that you have plenty of time to talk (and so you don't back out!). Also try and do it asap as I found it very nerve wracking and was a nervous wreck the whole week leading up to it!

Other than that just have a think about what you want to say beforehand. Maybe make some notes so you don't forget. I'm sure they will be patient, so take your time. In my case once I started I was then able to say a lot - I was there for an hour and a half! It's very therapeutic to say it all out loud and get some objective advice.

I would also recommend organising a follow up meeting some point after. Getting help and advice is a continous thing.

Hope that helps, I wish you all the best

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.